Field Strip Browning Buckmark

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by starman, May 3, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed and cussed but I have a question on the stripping of the Buchmark. No instructions are provided with the pistol. After looking around on the web I discovered that brownings comments are it doesn't need it just clean all excess residue in all area that are reachable and its done, that stripping isn't nessiary. I did find a some information and it doesn't look very difficult to strip it down but I'm just puzzled why browning is makes the statement its not needed. I alway strip my weapons and clean after using them.
    Opinions appreciated.
    Oh its the Buckmark stainless plus black laminated UDX, beatiful handgun

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

starman:

There is nothing to field stripping the Buckmark for cleaning and it does NEED to be field stripped after every range session, in my opinion.

The barrel is held on by a screw just forward of the trigger guard. Browning locktites it so it can be difficult to remove the first time and does not normally need locktite subsequently. Heat or impact pressure helps to loosen it. There is also a screw at the near end of the sight bridge. It may also be locktited on (??). When you lift the barrel with its sight bridge off the receiver the slide is free to sprong its springs and itself off the gun so hold the slide in place and remove the recoil spring before removing the slide.

The right grip panel holds the mag release spring in place and when removed the spring will literally fall out, as will the mag release button. When replacing the right grip panel position the gun so gravity holds the spring and button in place as you install the grip panel. The left grip panel holds the slide release lever in place and when replacing it be sure to get the hairpin spring into the lever before replacing the grip. If your gun has the one piece stock it is really difficult to keep the mag release spring and the slide release lever in correctly while maneuvering the stock on, but it can be done. It might be better to leave the grip panels on the gun during field stripping as all the dirty places can be reached without their removal.

That's got it... its now ready for a thorough cleaning.

When you put it back together you sometimes think you need more hands but work smart and you'll get it.

Chim has a more complete takedown than this but you'll have to do a search for it.

LDBennett

3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

wow and ppl say the ruger marks are hard to tear down

4. BillP

BillP New Member

And this is "field" stripping :rolleyes:

5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Makes a Ruger look like a walk in the park!!:D

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Wrong! The Ruger is easy to strip but sometimes impossible to put back together correctly without standing on your head and holding the gun just so.

I only mentioned the grips retaining parts so someone who tries this doesn't loose parts the first time. You can leave the grips in place but just be careful that the cleaning solutions you choose to use don't hurt the grips, plastic or wood. It really is just removing two screws, one large the other smaller and the slide and barrel is off the gun with total access inside the frame and on the slide for a thorough cleaning. That, is after all, what field stripping is all about. Going deeper into the workings of the gun is total strip. Running a patch through the bore with the slide locked back is lazy and often not very effective as the remaining powder residues eventually build up in the cracks and crevices, perhaps stopping the gun from shooting!

LDBennett

7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I was thinking about stripping my Buck Mark, but I just changed my mind.