The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
One of the things I miss about living in Wyoming, ruffed grouse. Good as quail or pheasant.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
Ok, ignorance showing. What is "spiede sauce"?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pheasant ain’t as good as grouse. My dad was bird hunting nut. He always had 2, mostly 3 dogs. I was the one that had to pluck them. If you were one of those guys who just popped the breast out of a grouse, you made your last trip with dad. Also you better never shoot a bird unless dogs were pointing. My gramma roasted Grouse like Cornish hens. She made stuffing with rye bread, mushrooms and black walnuts. One of those was a nice meal with side dishes.
Never got tired of grouse. Pheasant is ok but I’d just as soon have chicken. They remind me of stocked trout. I Ohio they stock pheasant for the Flatlanders. Strictly put and take proposition. Grouse need help. There is more grouse cover now than there ever was but few grouse. Makes to much sense to help a native specie that may reproduce on its own and knock somebody off the. Gravy Train.

·
Premium Member
22,162 Posts
I was the one that had to pluck them. If you were one of those guys who just popped the breast out of a grouse, you made your last trip with dad. Also you better never shoot a bird unless dogs were pointing.
I guess i wouldn't have hunted with your dad. My dog being a Springer Spaniel never pointed it was a flusher, and yep i popped the breast out of my grouse. I plucked a few, but to me it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I guess i wouldn't have hunted with your dad. My dog being a Springer Spaniel never pointed it was a flusher, and yep i popped the breast out of my grouse. I plucked a few, but to me it wasn't worth it.
Dad hunted English Setters. Sometimes one of the kennels he dealt with would send him dogs to try.
German Shorthairs and Labs, but he stuck with the English Setters. He sent them to school up in Mi.
When I was around 15, I got a Win M12- 3”mag. We would be in NW, Ohio where it’s flat. Dad had connections with farmers up there. Hunters on adjoining properties would flush Pheasants and they would come flying over. I would bust those dudes with the 3” and Dad would get mad as hell. Even worse if that black speck turned out to be a hen when it hit the ground.
I didn’t like pheasant hunting that much. I ruther stay down in the hills and hunt grouse. My Dad was the country gentleman type. We use to hack on him and accuse him of sticking out his little finger when he shot.

·
Premium Member
22,162 Posts
I would bust those dudes with the 3” and Dad would get mad as hell.
Couldn't you have down loaded your model 12 with some 2 3/4 rounds? You must have messed up those pheasants pretty bad with 3" mag loads. When i hunt them up here i use my A-5 sweet 16 with 2 3/4 number 5s or 6s.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Couldn't you have down loaded your model 12 with some 2 3/4 rounds? You must have messed up those pheasants pretty bad with 3" mag loads. When i hunt them up here i use my A-5 sweet 16 with 2 3/4 number 5s or 6s.
Got older and hunted with A5LW 12- 2 3/4. My Dad bough a case of Mark 5, #6 every season. We used them for everything. Dad also a trap shooter was always looking for the perfect bird gun, when he wasn’t looking for the perfect trap gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts