The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on here about a filter.

What is a filter and why would you use it?

Thank you,
Dale

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
That’s not a lot to go on. What was the context? As you’re posting this in the ammo and reloading section could you be meaning “fillers”?

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
Air filter, oil filter, gas filters, they have all been talked about. There are many kinds of filters, but I can't think of one being used in reloading

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought they said filter may have been filler.

Yep, just checked and it was filler. Something they put in the case with the powder. I think is is like a wad in a shotgun shell.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
I have read several threads where fillers have been talked about. Most of them were talking about black powder loads but some were modern powder, which is something I don't know anything about, and personally afraid to try!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I can tell so far is that if you use a low powder charge it keep s the powder in the back of the cartridge next to the primer.

·
Premium Member
19,603 Posts
From what I can tell so far is that if you use a low powder charge it keep s the powder in the back of the cartridge next to the primer.
That is used for black powder loads.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
I have been loading for 45+ years and I have never used a filler of any kind and never found a need for one. I have only loaded ten black powder rounds in my life and that was last year to try it out in my 45/70.

·
Registered
17,132 Posts
That is used for black powder loads.
I know of at least two people that do it for smokeless powder.

The loading manuals all say don't do it. They say it is dangerous. The people that I know that do it say it is perfectly safe.

I choose to err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
I use a Dacron filler in a load that gives good results. It’s a case about the size of a 30-06 and I’m loading it with 8 grains of Unique.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Yes, fillers and, you are essentially correct. Small powder charges lay horizontal in the case and the primer "flashes over" the charge causing poor ignition. By using a filler the powder is held against the primer and ignition and performance is much improved.. However, they aren't to be used will-nilly. It depends on what kind of powder, what case/cartridge and the firearm it's to be used in. They're hardly ever used in handgun cartridges. I've been using fillers since the late 70's or early 80's years and have never had an unsafe condition arise or blown up a firearm or even had a bad load. In times past all kinds of materials were used. During the BP days the British were famous for using cork wads and some of that carried over to smokeless loads. Kapok was used in the late 1800's and 1900's through probably the 50's. Cream of Wheat was popular in the 40's and through the 70's and into the 80's even. About then Polyester/Dacron gained popularity and remains so. Since the 80's lots of pressure work has been done regarding fillers. Solid fillers, cork and the like as well as cereals have mostly been abandoned because of excessive pressure excursions. Dacron has proven safe as has open cell foam and cotton balls when fluffed up.

Lyman's 47th loading manual was still recommending Dacron for fillers and they had been recommending them for 75 or more years. The only thing wrong with fillers is the same thing "wrong" with a lot of things. People use them carelessly or ignorantly then blame the object for their stupidity. Much like the firearm is the cause of crime. That and corporate lawyers shielding their clients from liability....which today translates into a near complete lack of personal responsibility and a sue happy population.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I use dacron as a filler for some subs...You should see the crap factories use for their crappy subs-one had some yellow plastic...The dacron is light and wispy,perfect.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,729 Posts
I tried cream of wheat as a filler a few times with my New Model Army. It did not improve accuracy or precision, but some guys downwind said they started feeling hungry smelling that cereal!!

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
I tried cream of wheat as a filler a few times with my New Model Army. It did not improve accuracy or precision, but some guys downwind said they started feeling hungry smelling that cereal!!
The few times I used corn meal over smokeless powders it didn't smell like corn bread after it was fired. It reminded me of a wet dog. I didn't like corn meal at all, as a filler.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shoot a .357 pistol and rifle.

When I use Hodgdon CFE pistol I get black marks on my brass on one side.
The load is about 6 to 7 grains.

Wii a FILLER solve this?

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
It might solve it but you blew up a Henry already, didn't you? Are you wanting to try for two firearms? You're a looooonng way from trying a filler in anything. I'd NEVER use a filler in a handgun cartridge because it's absolutely, totally and completely unnecessary. They are for specific purposes and not to be used without careful consideration and a full application of knowledge of their effect in a cartridge. Did you read my first post about fillers?

The black on the cases isn't hurting a thing but your tender sensibilities....and that isn't a snide remark, just another way of saying you're concerned about something that is of absolutely no concern.

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
Oh my, I had no idea OP had already done some misguided gafingerpoken. May I suggest he get a good education on reloading rather than taking the quick and easy approach. This is just one of those things that requires some discipline and willingness to put in the time to actually learn. Getting yourself a couple good reloading manuals, think of them as a college text book and contact a shop that sells reloading supplies. There was one by my house that conducted regular classes on reloading.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts