Finall decision...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Ben, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben New Member

Ok I have finally got my firearms license and have also got my permits :D

So now comes the time (in the next couple of weeks) where I go down and order my first rifle

You may remember my previouse thread where I decided to get the Savage 12 LRPV .223 in the repeater.. Well since then I have had a change of heart and find myself drawn to the Savage 12 FTR Precision Target rifle in a .308..

However before I go making any rash decisions I have a few questions which I hope you guys can help me with..

Will this rifle be good for BOTH short-medium range target shooting as well as LONG range target shooting (1000+ meters)?

How much more is .308 ammo to buy per round than .223 ammo?

I know this is a rather hard question to answer but if you can give me a rough idea as to how much ammo I'm likely to go through per session it will help me a lot on my decision... As I don't think I could afford to eat through 100 rounds each time I go to the range for a few hours.

And last but not least is this rifle a good choice? I will be using it solely for target shooting and if I can lug it around I might take it hunting just for some fun but my main intrest in this sport is to do long range target shooting.

The scope I will be using with this rifle is the Night Force NXS 8-32x56mm..

Thanks heaps for ANY help and or input

EDIT: Couldn't get hyperlinks to work =\ Here's a link to each of the rifles..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I like to keep a supply of my rifles' caliber (7.62x54R) around and stock up as I find it. Sometimes I use up 50 at a time, other times I go through a dozen and then I'm finished. For me, 100 in one session would be a lot. It all depends on your habits, I'm afraid. Seems to me that a .308 is going to cost a bit more than .223, but it could be very different here than it is in Oz.

3. army mp

army mp Member

1000 Meters is pretty questionable. For the 223 even in a bolt action. The 308 would be a better choice at that range . savage is an excellent rifle for the money, I have 2 one in 223 and one in 270 . I do not know ammo prices in Australia. But here the 223 would be much cheaper. Both being NATO rounds you should be able to get either

4. Ben

Ben New Member

Yeah, well I'm also buying a CZ 452 American .22 rimfire so I can take that to the range and kinda break up each session with a bit of .308 and then go crazy with the .22 so I don't waste too much money :p

Hmm yeah well I want to shoot long range so that's why I think I might go with the .308 Target rifle.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. army mp

army mp Member

Ben I read on a post awial back, that you guys are paying a dollar a round for 223 down there any truth to that.

6. Ben

Ben New Member

Yeah, if not more for the top quality stuff :( That's why I'm a bit worried about going .308

7. army mp

army mp Member

can you reload

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Hmm well not straight away, both me and my step father are getting into this sport and already ave a price list of just over $12,000 so another $1000+ on reloading gear isn't really an option at the moment, maybe a few months down the track... Does reloading your own ammo save much money compared to buing pre-loaded?

9. army mp

army mp Member

Not being familiar with your laws and availability of components, I would not want to say. Here in the states we are having a tuff time finding powder and primers. Getting started is the most expensive part of it,
    You could start out with a Lee press. Are price $25.00 lee Dies about another 25. But with the new Laws on exporting firearm Related Item. I truly don’t know. I know that because of reloading I shoot three times as much as I would if not. I was talking to a guy from Germany he is coming over on Business and has a list of reloading Items he plans on taking back. I don’t know how that will work out.

10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

For long range, you'll need the .308 rather than the .223. The cost of ammo will likely be higher, too.

11. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

To me 100 in one session would be like a day at the office when I'm not in the feild, boring. :D

12. Ben

Ben New Member

To give you guys an idea of the prices here in Aus this is a price list..

http://www.rehfisch.com.au/centrefire.htm

As you can see even the cheaper .308 ammo is still around $1.50 a round :(

BUT If i'm only going to burn through around 50 rounds a session then it shouldn't be a problem.. And I will also have a .22 rimfire with me each time I go so I can do a bit of .308 shooting and then burn through some cheap rimfire stuff inbetween.

On average how many rounds do u guys go through in .308 ammo for say a 3-5 hour session at the range?

13. Rick65Cat

Rick65Cat New Member

Forget a .223 for 1000 yrds and more. Go with the .308 in a heavy long barrel. For that kind of distance you want to practice....LOTS of practice. More than 50 rounds a session, and more than a few sessions a week if you want to become consistant.
    Also, you realize you are going to pay a good chunk of change on optics...you want to be using high quality glass like Leupold, Nikon, Nightforce...I mean, a target a 1000 yrds away doesn't exactly stand out.

Reloading is the way to go if you are going to be shooting lots. AFTER you've bought the equipment reloaded shells are a tad more than 1/3 the cost of factory ammo. I've reloaded for my .204 and .223 but not my .308 yet.
    20 .204 factory bullets are about $17.99, whereas 20 reloads cost me about $6.50 to $7.
    Reloading also gives you the confidence in knowing each bullet will be exactly the same as the previous one that left the barrel.
    I've put 5 consecutive .223 reloads into a group the size of a dime at 100 yrds. Not bad for 51 yr old eyes and a bi-pod. (I admit I was using a good scope too. :D)

Have you looked into the 6.5x284? I have no experience with that caliber but I hear it is the caliber to use for lonnng target/match usage, (as in 1000 yrds)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  14. Ben

Ben New Member

Yeah I have gone for the .308 :) There's no way in the world I will be able to afford any more than 50+ rounds a week lol that's already about $100-$150 so I'll have to use the .22 inbetween my .308 shoots..

Yeah I knew from the beginning the optics had to be around the same price as the rifle so I went for the Nightforce NXS 12-42x56mm in the MLR reticle.

Well we decided to go all in and buy a Lyman expert kit "deluxe" which has almost everything we need to kick start our handloading business :D However we did spend a couple of hundred $$ more on other things to go with the kit and the guy from the shop has offered to come out and teach us how to use it and everything which is pretty cool :)

Yeah I had a talk to the guy down the shop about that stuff and he says the only way to get it here is by making it yourself or paying out the nose for the factory Hornady stuff so with .308 ammo already stretching my budget to breaking point I decided against it :eek:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009