Finally broke down and got one

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by CCHolderinMaine, May 20, 2020.

1. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

I too, am blessed with strong thumbs. When new, the mags on the P365 were incredibly strong, especially on the last round or two. I had been gifted the UPLULA years before and had never used it...until the P365. The loader worked like a champ, but the mag springs have loosened over time, so I put it away. Word of caution, first load a single round by hand before using the tool. Otherwise, the tool might lightly gouge the follower. Don't ask me how I know. :mad:

2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

The cousin that got me this is an electrician. He helped me wire my camp. The ground rods, oye. You've been to northern New England...pretty rocky ground lol. Camp is on a lake, no rocks around that. We try and hammer in the rods. Can't get anywhere. We finally give up and he brings up this jackhammer type thing they use. We cram one into the earth. Painful, but it's in. Go for the second, let the hammer go. Man, it's working hard, then it goes easier, all the way in. Sweet! We're finishing up, and I trip over something. The ground rod has gone down a couple feet, hit rocks, turned a 180 and is poking out of the earth a few feet from where it went in!

tedwitt, One Shot and ysacres like this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

That isn't peculiar to northern Maine. I've had it happen here as well.

I had a ground rod driver for my big rotary hammer. However, there was times even it woul not drive one. You just kept pecking around til you found a hole or crack in the rock. Fortunately most of our karst topography is limestone. I suspect yours is granite?

tedwitt likes this.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Yes, he told me crazy stuff like that happens all the time all over. Lots of granite, slate too. Poking around is great. Getting stuck 2 feet down and trying to pull it back out. What a PIA.

tedwitt and sharps4590 like this.
  5. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

You old shooters talk thumbs, use and condition, and you ought to see how damned crippled
    mine appear...When I had my drain cleaning service, I wore heavy, wrist high gloves and
    there were times when operating the more powerful of the machines, the revolving snakes
    would twist and hence, damage the thumbs...the joint in both my thumbs seem almost stuff
    one could joke about though sure not a joke when it got injured the way it was.....Chief

tedwitt, BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  6. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe that loading magazines by hard worked for 100 years. Now, the manufactures put in springs that are IMPOSSIBLE to hand load!!! Hmmm, maybe they are the ones selling the "loaders"???

tedwitt and sparkyv like this.
  7. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I bought my Taurus PT 24/7 .45acp it cam with a mag loader. I have since purchased a Caldwell Mag Loader makes ir even quicker and easier to load up that 12 r0und mag.

tedwitt likes this.
  8. Limbo Jimbo

Limbo Jimbo Well-Known Member

9. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

No range bag is complete without a mag loader or several mag loaders.

tedwitt likes this.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Uplula is the best one I have ever used. It works on almost all my semi auto handguns. I have had a lot of loaders but none have been as good as this one.

CCHolderinMaine and tedwitt like this.
  11. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

12. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

That's my favorite.

13. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

14. JRK57

JRK57 Well-Known Member

I want that cake for my birthday!

CCHolderinMaine and tedwitt like this.
  15. larryh1108

larryh1108 I DINT DO IT!! Supporting Member

I don't get it.
    We have a tool that is remarkably easy to use, 10x faster than hand loading a mag and saves your joints for when you do reach an older age... and you will.

Is it a macho thing? If you use one you aren't a man? Why do we use power screwdrivers and other power tools? Decades ago no one heard of a power screwdriver and any one who wanted one is not manly enough? Are we all wimps today because we use a tool designed for ease and future benefit?

It can't be cost. They are around $30. We go all out to decorate our guns with "accessories" but to spend $30 for something to make life easier is a waste? Is that new set of grips needed when the grips that came with it works just fine. We can go thru $30 of ammo very fast on the range and all we have left is spent brass if we reload. These mag loadeds will last a life time.

So what is it that keeps smart and tough guys like we have here from buying one? Us hundreds/thousands who talk about how great they are must be wrong? You don't want to be a sissy? Someone please tell me why you wouldn't at least try them, let alone buy one? I believe it is the greatest tool for shooters since smokeless powder.

One Shot and gvw3 like this.