FInally did it... M1a

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Crpdeth, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Holy crap... I think what you're saying is that once I have 100 yards dialed in to my preferred ammo and my eyes, loosen the screw, then set/tighten the elevation knob at 100. Then all I have to do to reach out to 200, is turn the elevation to 200? Then 300? That sounds amazing if I understand you correctly!

jim brady and joe45c like this.
  2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

You pull all that off we are going to start calling you Crockett!;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That is what I'm saying. Just remember that when you change ammunition - say you switch from M80 loads to M118 Match ammo - that you need to adjust your sights to keep your elevation correct. Also remember that when you buy different batches or 'lots' of ammunition that there may be slight differences in performance, but when you have set your sights you ought to be really close.

That is another reason to use only quality ammunition. There is published data from the actual Government Small Arms Data Sheets that will allow you to reload your own ammunition to specifics to mimic original ammunition. This ammunition groups about 1 1/2" at 100 yards (M80) and about 1" with the M118 in my 'rack grade. I suspect your Match Grade will do better.

Before I obtained my own copy of the Small Arms Data Sheets, I stumbled across an article in the Rifleman describing the ammunition that the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) loaded for their Matches with their M14s. This load described a load with LC Match cases, IMR-4895 powder and Sierra 168 grain HPBT Match Bullets that they used in all of their Service Rifle Competitions with their '14s. I tried it and never looked back.

Crpdeth likes this.
  4. Crpdeth

Jim... It will only allow me to 'like' your post one time, so that's no real representation of how I really feel about your last post. :D

Man... If that wont get me back into re-loading, nothing will... Even better than that, I really think that if I drag all that stuff back out, that I'll find that I have all the components for .308 even though I've never owned one before.

I definitely love a good scope though... My eyes aren't a good as some people my age so it really helps.

jim brady likes this.
  5. Jim Murdock

Jim Murdock New Member

If you decide to reload for M1a be sure to research it. The weapon is particular about powders and primers.

Crpdeth likes this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The last one I had would not chamber full length sized ammo, I had to use a small base die before my reloads would work in it.

Crpdeth likes this.
  7. Crpdeth

Okay, men... I'll take your advice to heart. I'll certainly do the research and thankfully we have tons of great YouTube folks out there willing to help.

Thanks for the advice.