The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun came in yesterday and looks really good. The seller said he bought it three years ago, shot one box 50 rounds and it's never been out of his safe since. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - maybe tomorrow. Checked the trigger pull and it averages a 5.6 lb which I guess is about right for a factory 1911. It has a sight bit of creep (maybe 1/8" or less), but the break is crisp, and the reset short. I would like the trigger a little smoother and maybe I'll have the local gunsmith stone it down some. I don't think it needs a full trigger job just some smoothing out.

I've gotten "trigger spoiled" after shooting some handguns several guys have in our club. Until I fired several of them I would never have guessed there could be such a difference. When you pull some of those triggers all you can say wow. Don't think I'll spend that much money because I don't shoot competition, but now that I can tell the difference in trigger feel I know what can be done.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Airsoft gun

·
TFF Chaplain
21,438 Posts
Sweet. Very nice looking. Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Give us a range report.

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,727 Posts
Looking forward to what you think after you shoot it. Great looking 1911.

·
Premium Member
20,482 Posts
I have the Ruger 1911 cmd. Its very accurate. One of my favorite handguns. I think you will be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Congrats! Its gonna be an addiction so start saving....

·
Administrator
32,812 Posts
Stepping the hammer: (Remove the mag and loaded round) Cock the hammer, insert a small screwdriver thru the hole in the hammer, lift up on the screwdriver and pull the trigger while lifting. Do that about 3 times and the trigger will most likely smooth out due to any burrs on the sear being removed. Sometimes a factory trigger will have the symptom you describe. Or, dropping at slide without a loaded mag installed.
I can go into more detail but just don't have the time right now.
You will notice the difference when you press the trigger.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It didn't take long to find out I really like this gun. Took it to the range this morning for about 2 hours along with my CZ 75 SP-01, and the M&P .40. The 1911 out shoots both of them. I set up the target stand at 30 paces and lined up three rows of targets. Then used a rest on a bench to see what the guns could do under good conditions.

I fired three 5 shots groups with each and the 1911 was consistently the best. Those groups were all under 1" across. The CZ was next at just over 1" maybe 1.25", and the M&P was last with about 2" groups.

Next I shot 6" steel targets at 25 yards and the 1911 was the best again. That stand has 6 targets and I could hit 12 of 12 with the 1911, 9 or 10 with the CZ, and 7 or 8 with the M&P. That was using the rest. Even free standing I shot the 1911 much better than the other two.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Like I said, start saving!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The gun came in yesterday and looks really good. The seller said he bought it three years ago, shot one box 50 rounds and it's never been out of his safe since. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - maybe tomorrow. Checked the trigger pull and it averages a 5.6 lb which I guess is about right for a factory 1911. It has a sight bit of creep (maybe 1/8" or less), but the break is crisp, and the reset short. I would like the trigger a little smoother and maybe I'll have the local gunsmith stone it down some. I don't think it needs a full trigger job just some smoothing out.

I've gotten "trigger spoiled" after shooting some handguns several guys have in our club. Until I fired several of them I would never have guessed there could be such a difference. When you pull some of those triggers all you can say wow. Don't think I'll spend that much money because I don't shoot competition, but now that I can tell the difference in trigger feel I know what can be done. View attachment 97203
It is very pretty, best of luck and stay safe with it.

·
TFFWPP President
14,030 Posts
Just when I was all set to copy tuckered1 you come along and show me what I really want. Looks like I will have to wait another year to get that RL550

1 - 19 of 19 Posts