21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
Congrats!
Are these like a Swedish Mauser?
Dad has this in his inventory.
Swedish Mauser6.5x55M-94Mauser-Jagwaffen
An M-94 is a military carbine, based on a slightly modified Model 93 Mauser. Although Jagwaffen translates to hunting rifle, unless your Model 94 has been sporterised, it should look like this.

The one Sharps just bought is based on the much stronger Model 98 Mauser action, and was built from the get-go as a hunting rifle.

·
Premium Member
20,403 Posts
GOT IT!!! I started calling at 10 sharp and I just got through. I don't know if they changed their hours or they're just that busy. Anyway, it's bought and I'm calling my FFL shortly.
Vic since it was made in 1964 couldn't you get it with your Curio&Relice lic.?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Oh my Mak, I don't know. As far as I know it was the cartridge that was known as the Swedish Mauser, not so much the rifle, unless the Mod. 96 was also known as that. Lots of firms and builders chambered it but its real popularity lay in Scandinavia. I would suspect Alpo, TRAP, gr or others to have the accurate answer.
Husqvarna sporting rifles up to the 1600 Model, were military actions, or in the case of the 1600, a FN 98. The 1640 is a Husky re-design of a Small Ring 98 action.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't have a C&R, Joe. I never pursued one. I'd never heard of them until probably 10-12 years ago.

I noticed a couple differences but just credited them to being a later model. Do you know what PSI or CUP it's rated for?

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

All Swedish Mausers were chambered for the 6.5×55mm cartridge, and all Swedish-made actions were proof-tested with a single 6.5×55mm proof round developing approximately 455 MPa (65,992 psi) piezo pressure (55,000 CUP).[4][5] Swedish Mausers were manufactured by Waffenfabrik Mauser AG in Oberndorf a/N in Germany and in Sweden by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori and Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag. All Swedish Mausers, whether built in Germany or Sweden, were fabricated using a Swedish-supplied high grade tool steel alloyed with nickel, copper, and vanadium, a product then noted for its strength and corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I don't have a C&R, Joe. I never pursued one. I'd never heard of them until probably 10-12 years ago.

I noticed a couple differences but just credited them to being a later model. Do you know what PSI or CUP it's rated for?
Sharps, if you're asking about the 1640 cup rating, it's the same as as any other modern Mauser action. I know of some that were re-barreled to belted magnums, but the action length and width of the guide rails limit what works. You can bump up the 6.5 Swede in that action, over what a Swede 96 could take. The 6.5x55 AI will do anything the Creedmore can too.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh heck, the regular 6.5 Swede in a 65K PSI rifle will do anything the 6.5 Moregay...uhhh..Gaymoor...uhhh...Creedmoor can do. I was beating what the Creed can do in the Mod. 70 Featherweight I had in 6.5 Swede and that was 30+ years ago. I guess I was ahead of that curve then as well, I just wasn't shooting it beyond 300 or so yards.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Actually the majority are C&R although you're right, there's also quite a few antiques in the mix. 25-30 years ago had I known there was such a thing as a C&R license...or what a C&R was, I probably would have one. Now it seems like it would be closing the barn door after the horse is out....lol!

·
Administrator
13,929 Posts
Nice buy Vic! I have looked at those but never bought one. I think I want a CG63 in 6.5x55. Almost bought one last Dec, but I procrastinated and let a smoking deal get away. The ones that were left didn't appeal as much, so I passed. If you nooze, you lose!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
"If you snooze you lose".....ain't that the truth. I did the same thing on Simpson's when that rifle could be bought for $500 or less.

I picked it up yesterday and it's pretty nice. The blue is really quite good but the stock needs re-finished. It isn't cracked or beat up, just used and the bottom metal could use a re-paint....since I don't know how to anodize aluminum. Bore IS bright and shiny with sharp rifling.

No pictures yet. Joyce is having some really painful RA difficulties and they're finishing up our detached garage addition. They should be completely done before noon and today I have doctor's appts....aarrrggghh!!!! This is getting old!!!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks pdk. There might be a little relief but I think we're on the verge of seeking out another doctor. I had great hopes for the one Joyce picked after our long time doctor retired but I'm not sure now. Seems all she wants to do is prescribe pills. And doggone it if our old doctor didn't die last week. She was on the list for some heart surgery and had stints put in. Her husband found her on the bathroom floor like 2 weeks before her surgery. She will be missed.

Ok. I FINALLY, (don'tcha love that word....lol), got a few pictures and as usual, my fine photography skills are apparent...lol.....and don't say anything about the cluttered bench! I know where EVERYTHING is!!!!

I'm a bit stuck for a while, waiting on dies and brass to show up. Mid South is way behind according to their web site.

Musical instrument Wood Shelf Bookcase Musical instrument accessory

Building Shelving Retail Wood Urban design

·
GUNZILLA
8,114 Posts
Good looking rifle Vic, very nice.

OFF TOPIC!
No pictures yet. Joyce is having some really painful RA difficulties and they're finishing up our detached garage addition. They should be completely done before noon and today I have doctor's appts....aarrrggghh!!!! This is getting old!!!
Sorry to hear about Joyce. It was the reason Shelley and I did not stop in Rollo on our last trip to St. Louis. After several hours on the road and in severe pain she was not in a sociable mood. Hope Joyce gets to feeling better.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thank you sir!!! There was some question about the twist of later Husqvarna 6.5 Swedes so I checked it this morning and it's 1-8.

Thanks Manny, I understand. When we lived in Wyoming and had to come back home we'd have to stop about every 1 1/2 hour so Joyce could walk around a bit. 1400 miles was long enough but when you have to stop that often it seems to take forever. Honestly, the break didn't hurt me either.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts