The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally after months of delays got to take my new left handed Savage Axis bolt action rifle to the range for some shake down shooting. Sadly everything you've ever read about the trigger is true... it's horrible. I'll be doing some custom work on it ASAP. Also sadly everything you've ever heard about the synthetic stock is true... it is very flexible, and could use some re-enforcement ASAP, or replaced with an after market unit as soon as someone makes a decent one to replace it with.

Having said all that, I couldn't be happier with the way the rifle shoots if I tried. Once you get used to the rifles short comings you quickly discover that the thing is one of the best shooting rifles for the money that you can buy. After shooting about ten rounds through my new rifle I cleaned the bore, put an orange dot sticker on my target and got serious for shooting two groups of three shots each at 100 yards. The first three shots made one ragged hole slightly high and left of aim point. I thought I was seeing things. The second group of three the first shot was a flyer and hit center high, but the next two went into the same hole as the others. So, there are five shots in one right to left ragged hole that measures .75in center to center at 100 yards.

For a brand new out of the box left handed bolt action that I have less then 370.00 dollars in (including scope) I'm very impressed in a good way to say the least. There is much room for improvement with this rifle, but it's off to a really great start. :) Oops... Sorry, I forgot to mention it's chambered in .223 Rem.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I have a savage edge in 22-250. Shoots 1 hole groups all day (not bad for a $127.00 gun) every day. There's an after market trigger out for them. As for a replacement stock, it's not looking good. They have been out for a while and no one has made any yet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone... If things work out the way I hope today, maybe, just maybe I can sneak out to the range again today. If I can produce a better group then my last one by some miracle I'll post it up. I haven't had a chance to do any trigger mods to it yet, so I really don't expect any great improvement. But, I want to move P.O.I. to P.O.A., or vice versa as the case may be. Also, I need to see if the Point Of Impact changes with the level of zoom power adjustment on the scope. So, in short I still need to get better acquainted with the rifle and see if it has anymore personality traits I don't know about.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.