The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing some shopping in a nearby city, I went into the Dunham's to check on the ammo availability. What I found was that they had some ammo on the shelves, not a lot but some nevertheless. The prices were a bit high but with the way things are now, perhaps in line with the current prices. They had no .22's of any kind nor .22 WMR's. They had some .223 with the prices being around 18 to 20 dollars per box of 20 rounds. The only centerfire handgun rounds they had was some Winchester white box .357 magnums for 60 dollars for 50 rounds. As far as centerfire rifle rounds, they had some .308 and a few other calibers in small quantities. Perhaps the ammo drought is starting to lessen, only time will tell.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Our local Scheels has had 300 blackout for a couple weeks now (50 round boxes for $65)
9mm and 40 S&W are hit and miss but not bad pricing when in stock. They have had 300 and 7mm mag and 30-06 but prices way to high for them.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
That is still gouging. I haven't popped off a round in so long I starting to forget which end points at the target and what end to hold onto. The only excuse I have is I'm getting to old and lazy to get out and do it. When (or if) you have plenty of .22 ammo it is wiser to pop it off and save the center-fire stuff for those rainy days. Kinda of pricey at a buck-a-round IMHO. 'Most everyone owns at least one .22 to practice with.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I don't know why, but from what I read on here, my area of the country is pretty fortunate. We're filling up shelves with higher priced, but at least available ammo in the common calibers. There's really never been a point when I couldn't at least find a box of 9mm or .223/5.56. We shoot a LOT around here too, so I'm a bit confused. Maybe we've just always gotten disproportionately higher rates of shipments?... :unsure:

EDIT: Photo for reference... This was on Monday of this week at an Academy at about 5 PM on a shipment day. There were probably 5 different brands (Fiocchi, Blazer, Federal, Winchester and Remington) of 9mm on the shelf. No, it's not a lot, but it's more than I hear some talking about. It's also important to note that this is the stuff that was left after being picked through after opening that morning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just went by my local academy an not impressed.

Got my curiosity up, so I went to my Academy in Garland. Sure enough, they have moved the ammo back out to where they BB's are and raised the limit to 4 boxes for rifle and handgun ammo, and 10 boxes of shotgun shells.

So, since I didn't see much that was above 50 per box, it's hardly worth the trip.

They only had Some Hornaday 9mm stuff at $22 or $23 a box of 50, some .223 and 5.56 which I don't remember the price, and the same 20 cent a round Norma .22lr that they can't seem to give away.

So I guess, that might be a signal of "more ammo" but until they get pricing down to something much better, I'll stay off the 9mm bandwagon.

I left there and went to Wally World across the street and they had about 40 boxes of 325 round Federal Automatch. 3 box maximum and priced at about 5.3 cents a round. So, even though I bought some the other day, I went ahead and bought 3 more boxes.

I think my son-in-law is converting one of his AR-15's to .22 with a conversion kit so he plans to start shooting more .22 soon too. So we can't probably have too much .22.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Okay, I said we were fortunate in my area. I went to a couple of local stores when we went out to get something to eat earlier.

The first store shown has no ammo limits. The prices are on par with online prices when they're available (so, they're high), but you can buy whatever they have in stock. They still didn't have the .17 HMR Gamepoint rounds that I've been looking for. I left empty-handed even though I handled a Taurus 627 Tracker in .357. I really want that gun for some reason. There aren't any .357 rounds available anywhere though. Revolver rounds are notably hard to come by regardless of caliber. I've seen absolutely no .38 Special or .357 rounds anywhere and only a few boxes of .44 Magnum early on when this all started. :unsure:

They also had primers, although most were shotshell primers.

Finally, we stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse after dinner. They had a lot of rifle ammo, but the majority of the pistol ammo was behind the counter. I even saw some .32 H&R Magnum ammo, which kind of surprised me because it's both a revolver round and also not very common.

I found it pretty hilarious that given these times, they had to put up a special sign to show folks that 5.45x39 ammo was only for AK74 rifles. That's not entirely true, however I'll bet folks have confused it for 5.56 ammo. Bless 'em... :giggle:

It was here that I finally found my .17 HMR Gamepoint ammo though. It wasn't ridiculously priced either. They were $18.99/50 and I got 2, while my wife also got 2. You know it's true love when she buys ammo for ya'! There was a 2 box per customer limit per day. I'm not greedy, so I'm happy with the score for the night even if it was only 4 boxes.

Yes, I guess we're very fortunate. :) I'm going to leave the rest on the shelves for others. I'm good to go now. Hopefully, the shelves start filling up elsewhere!

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Okay, I said we were fortunate in my area. I went to a couple of local stores when we went out to get something to eat earlier.

The first store shown has no ammo limits. The prices are on par with online prices when they're available (so, they're high), but you can buy whatever they have in stock. They still didn't have the .17 HMR Gamepoint rounds that I've been looking for. I left empty-handed even though I handled a Taurus 627 Tracker in .357. I really want that gun for some reason. There aren't any .357 rounds available anywhere though. Revolver rounds are notably hard to come by regardless of caliber. I've seen absolutely no .38 Special or .357 rounds anywhere and only a few boxes of .44 Magnum early on when this all started. :unsure:

View attachment 253216
View attachment 253217

They also had primers, although most were shotshell primers.

View attachment 253218
View attachment 253219

Finally, we stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse after dinner. They had a lot of rifle ammo, but the majority of the pistol ammo was behind the counter. I even saw some .32 H&R Magnum ammo, which kind of surprised me because it's both a revolver round and also not very common.

View attachment 253221
I found it pretty hilarious that given these times, they had to put up a special sign to show folks that 5.45x39 ammo was only for AK74 rifles. That's not entirely true, however I'll bet folks have confused it for 5.56 ammo. Bless 'em... :giggle:

It was here that I finally found my .17 HMR Gamepoint ammo though. It wasn't ridiculously priced either. They were $18.99/50 and I got 2, while my wife also got 2. You know it's true love when she buys ammo for ya'! There was a 2 box per customer limit per day. I'm not greedy, so I'm happy with the score for the night even if it was only 4 boxes.
View attachment 253222

Yes, I guess we're very fortunate. :) I'm going to leave the rest on the shelves for others. I'm good to go now. Hopefully, the shelves start filling up elsewhere!
There isn't any ammo to be had here since Sleepy Joe and the Ho stole the election. You're lucky on the .17 gamepoint. All they have here for .17 HMR is varmint fodder, and at $19.95 for 50. That's at Sportsmans warehouse. They have NO .223/5.56, NO .308 or 30-30. 30.06 etc. And what they do have is way over a dollar a round. Price gouging IMO. Screw 'em, I reload.
No Powder or Primers either, but I don't really need any right now. I'd buy a few if they did have them though.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
At those prices,easy to see why they have so much.
The strange thing is, those crazy prices in the first store are the norm online and you can't find them in stock online. People from other parts of the country are happy to pay it, apparently. I don't mind a store charging more if they actually have stuff. It's an emergency stop at best for me, but it's nice knowing it's there. I don't really need anything. I'm just window shopping for niche stuff for me and normal stuff for friends and family. :)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
There's a small LGS about 20m that has any ammo you want-NO ONE will buy there...2yr old 5.56-1200$cs,9mm-800$a cs-150$ for primers.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
There isn't any ammo to be had here since Sleepy Joe and the Ho stole the election. You're lucky on the .17 gamepoint. All they have here for .17 HMR is varmint fodder, and at $19.95 for 50. That's at Sportsmans warehouse. They have NO .223/5.56, NO .308 or 30-30. 30.06 etc. And what they do have is way over a dollar a round. Price gouging IMO. Screw 'em, I reload.
No Powder or Primers either, but I don't really need any right now. I'd buy a few if they did have them though.
This is similar to what I'm seeing (or rather not seeing) here. I can't understand why one area of the country has full shelves (though overpriced), and other areas like mine which hasn't had ANY ammo of any kind for over a year. Something is fishy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts