The Firearms Forum banner

Fingernail polish inlay...

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
Yeah I know, a Glock.;) But I found or tried a cheaper way to do some inlay on the lettering of my Glock -vs- the Gold inlay and alot cheaper.
And so far after a couple a weeks, it's staying in the lettering and stamps.
I took some non-acetone polish remover and wiped the area down to get rid of any oil(s) and painted the area with Gold/Glitter finger nail polish.

Let it set til dry and then wiped off the excess with the non-acetone.
Also done it to my older single six. Done both on all the lettering.
(pic of the Glock)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice photo Dale. I like the looks of the gold in the lettering. Those Glocks need all the help they can get in the looks department.:lmao2::lmao2:

I did something similar to the round count numbering on my Glock mags. so I could keep them separated from other folks mags. I used Testors hobby enamel but didn't let it dry completely. I like your idea of the finger nail polish better. I have used the finger nail polish on front sights and it is holding up well on some other guns.

#3 ·
Thanks Todd, and yeap, they do need something to help! lol
That is a GREAT idea with the mags!!! Never crossed my mind and the last time me and a friend had the Glocks out, I had to watch to keep from getting them mixed.
I will do that with mine and thanks for the idea!
I havent tried the nail polish on "plastic" yet and was a bit hesitant, but on the mags...
GREAT idea!

#4 ·
...and one thing you may already know with the paddle holsters, is SBGO makes'em come out alot better. A friend of mine was complaining about how they came out and I had the top of my slide coated with the SBGO and always do and it does make a difference.

#7 ·
Sweet!

I use paint markers to number every single magazine I own; if one has a problem, I can remember the number to weed it out later and also keeps from mixing up mags with my cohorts, especially our 15rd Glock mags.

http://www.staples.com/uni-Paint-Ma...oglePLAs:Office_Supplies:Markers:500926:63601

Don't think the paint pen would hold up very long in the lettering though, at least not as well as the polish. Cool trick!

#8 ·
...and one thing you may already know with the paddle holsters, is SBGO makes'em come out alot better. A friend of mine was complaining about how they came out and I had the top of my slide coated with the SBGO and always do and it does make a difference.
That's with Kydex holsters not leather...right?

#11 ·
That's with Kydex holsters not leather...right?
Right Running, not leather. As the Glock being my carry gun for now, I keep the top slide of the Glock with the wiped down SBGO.
When I first got the paddle holster, I'd heard that you can use a hair drier on it for a better fit for the gun, but I also, wiped some on the inside of the holster, them wiped off the excess. Comes out (the pistol out of the holster) nice and slick now!
get some lime green and you could say its a zombie gun
Heck yeah Josh... but doesnt Glock already spell zombie? :lmao2: :)
Purple would sure be pretty.:lmao:
:tapfoot: alright, so it isnt a Ruger! :lmao2::dontknow::na-na:

#13 ·
Numbering the mags like that, good ides. I put a piece of duct tape on the bottom and number them. Your way would look much better.

#14 ·
Sweet!

I use paint markers to number every single magazine I own; if one has a problem, I can remember the number to weed it out later and also keeps from mixing up mags with my cohorts, especially our 15rd Glock mags.

http://www.staples.com/uni-Paint-Ma...oglePLAs:Office_Supplies:Markers:500926:63601

Don't think the paint pen would hold up very long in the lettering though, at least not as well as the polish. Cool trick!
Numbering the mags like that, good ides. I put a piece of duct tape on the bottom and number them. Your way would look much better.
Agree with numbering the mags.. I'd done the inlay in the mags and numbered them as well. I wasnt sure how the polish would be on "plastic", but they it turned out good!

#16 ·
Not too shabby! Did you come up with this idea whilst doing your toenails?:D
How does it hold up when wiping down with gun oil or SBGO?
...nope, didnt come to mind while I was haveing at the toenails,;) but...
Right now, this is my carry gun and have shot, cleaned lord knows how many times over and the finger-toenail polish is hanging in there!:)
I was thinking about that this evening as I was wipeing it down (SBGO) and was thinking, "when will it have to be re-done?"
So far, so good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.