Finish for Wood Grips

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by USMCSpeedy, May 5, 2009.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I recently purchased a pair of Hogue Pau Ferro grips for my Colt SAA clone. They came oversize so they could be fit. I got that taken care of and I'm just wondering what the thoughts are out there for a finish on them. Hogue recommends just polishing them with carnuba wax.

Any other suggestions?

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have used equal parts of beeswax and mineral oil, melted together. That works really well on walnut, it fills in all the grain. I polish really well with a rag after putting a thin coat on.

3. pawn

pawn Active Member

Howard's Feed -N- Wax does real good.

4. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

I finish my grips with several coats of Howard's Feed-N-Wax. Over top of that if you really want a high polish, I use Picreator Renaissance Wax. I use the Renaissance Wax on metal parts, also, for weather protection, especially on my shotguns. Renaissance Wax is usually sold to knife collectors and comes from England. When you go to a gun show and see a knife maker or dealer there, and his blades look like mirrors, he probably used Renaissance to give the high shine.

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Neutral shoe polish works better than Renaissance wax, holds up better, and is cheaper.
    Pao ferro should not need any other finish.

6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wow what a excellent idea the nuetral shoe polish . i've tried a few things and have never been satisfied with the results

7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see what I can actually find here in my rural corner of the world. This is the first I've heard about using nuetral shoe polish. It sure sounds logical though. I know I can find that. Thanks again everyone.

8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I use a tiny dab of linseed oil on wood, which I always have around for my work anyway. Seems to work well.

9. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I have Not used Neutral shoe Polish on wood, But can remember how we had some Guys that used to ice skate with us that wore Girls Ice skates covered with Black shoe Polish and it always failed before we were done skating and ran off onto the ice, and Never lasted...:p I use a product called Arrow. It is a sand in Finish process where you apply a very small drop of it and use sand Paper to sand in the finish which fills the wood Pores as you go. It leaves behind and excellent durable finish and Gives the grain the Highest definition I have ever seen. The finer you go with the sand paper Grades the More shine it will produce. Below is a link to order it and a bottle will last forever. I also finished the wood grips shown below the Link with this finish and it is the closest finish I can find next to what S&W used back in the Mid 1950's which was Then lacquer... Hammerdown.

[​IMG]

http://www.shootersolutions.com/arwoodfin.html