The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of mystery/detective novels recently, and I am noticing a LOT of .32 caliber bullets found in dead bodies. Now, in The Maltese Falcon, I can see it. But other books are set in modern times, or even 40 years in the future! The detectives are disappointed, because ".32s are so common, we will have trouble tracing them." Are .32s really that common today, or do the writers just think 9mm looks lazy?

Also, in The Bone Collector (book, not the movie) Lincoln Rhymes says: "I once caught an unsub because of a single hair on the ceiling. He'd loaded a .357 round in a true .38 and the blowback pasted a hair from his hand on the crown molding."

Lincoln, lincoln. If he'd somehow managed to force the bullet into the barrel, the blowback likely would have pasted his entire HAND to the molding 馃ぃ

Registered
The usual is "WRONG" when it comes to firearms in popular literature. I remember Battlefield Earth with Smith and Wesson .457 caliber revolvers, and "sub-Thompsons" for Tommy guns. The best was the generic "assault rifles" they found but they could tell the ammo was dud by looking at the primer at the base of the cartridge.
One of the BEST is the depiction of Honor Harrington's 1911A1 in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Even thousands of years in the future, there is always a 1911 around.

Registered
What is an unsub?

Reactions: sharps4590

Registered
Well Hollywierd is just as bad if not worse. I鈥檝e seen AR16 (sic) that had no sights mounted but the kill shot was from afar. M16 (not sic) blow up a car, armored car/truck/tank with one bullet, and it wasn鈥檛 even with a tracer. 60 round revolvers. (That鈥檚 my personal favorite) Autoloading handguns that the slide locks back, but in the next instant the slide is in battery with a new magazine. (I live to catch in-continuities in movies) Fired cartridges in a close up that clearly shows they are blanks. The second Alien movie with two 600 joules pulse machine guns that were dressed up M60 machine guns mounted to Steady Cam articulated arms and harness. Last but not least, how everyone who gets shot flys back 5鈥-10鈥-20鈥 with no matter the cartridge. Hollywierd had created so many false firearms movie myths that the cable show Myth Busters made a fifteen series fun dispelling some of those myths.

Premium Member
That stuff can drive you nuts if you let it. It's fictional so....let the errors run free, they will anyway...lol!

What bugs me to death is when you see errors in firearms books that were supposedly written by experts. What they're expert at at I have no idea but it isn't firearms.

Registered
' One of the BEST is the depiction of Honor Harrington's 1911A1 in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Even thousands of years in the future, there is always a 1911 around. "

That was the best part of the book. She won a duel by shooting from the hip.

Registered
I emailed Lee Childs to ask if I could proofread anything in his books relating to firearms-----my fav-Reacher-"We had Berettas because they hit harder than Glocks"....publisher sent back nice email stating they had an expert proofreader 馃ぁ
Reply back that proofreading is different from fact fixing.

Registered
' One of the BEST is the depiction of Honor Harrington's 1911A1 in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Even thousands of years in the future, there is always a 1911 around. "

Heinlein 's BEYOND THIS HORIZON. This one is where the statement AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY came from. Everyone carries a gun, and if you do something rude, the person you do it too is just liable to shoot your butt. The hero of the book, Hamilton Felix, shows up at his friend's office one day, and tell him to "check out my new gun". Everyone else wore a ray gun of some type, but Hamilton had seen this in a museum, and had one specially made. 1911. Carried six spare magazines, giving him 49 rounds, and most of the ray guns were 50 round guns.

He's going to have a fast draw contest with his friend. They are going to shoot at this vase on the stand in the friend's office. The 45 destroyed the vase. He says that's a shame, but now they won't be able to tell who hit it first. The friend said that Hamilton had won. That he had not shot. The explosion had startled him so much he lost track of what he was doing.

Registered
These are the same writers that pen entries like "The heady scent of the dogwood blossoms wafted forth on the warm summer breeze...."
1. Dogwood blossoms HAVE no scent.
2. Dogwood bloom in the Spring, not the summer.

My personal favorite face palm? "The sniper snuggled his cheek firmly against the wooden stock of the M16......"

Registered
I thought of a couple more, "Aliens", with the pulse rifles shooting 10mm caseless, (Sigourney Weavers character asked Lt Gorman specifically), but in the air ducts you can see Vasquez' rifle clearly ejecting brass. Also apparently in "Empire Strikes Back" you can see Leias' "blaster" Sten ejecting brass as well. I think they edited that out of the upgraded movie. "Rambo" at the end you can see during the close up, (!), with the blanks running out of his M-60. Taken from a Russian helicopter. And a very recent one, Marvel's "What If.." animated series where Killmonger saves Stark instead of him being blown and captured...and his AR style rifle has a full length Picatinny rail with no optics, or front or rear sights on it.

As slimy as Denver Summervale was, I didn't care how she killed him! 馃榾

At this rate, how do we know that's fiction? :whistle:
Considering Sean Connery's character in "Outland" used what appeared to be a garden variety 12 gauge shotgun, (Winchester Defender?), maybe simple is better in space.

GUNZILLA
Hollywierd had created so many false firearms movie myths that the cable show Myth Busters made a fifteen series fun dispelling some of those myths.
Ironically the number of people that believe that they can do what Hollywood shows is growing, that along with all the facts the internet provides the numbers become exponential.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts