The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Longmire novels drive me especially nuts.

I just read a line in "Kindness Goes Unpunished" in which Longmire insists that someone he's talking to "secure" their Glock by dropping the "CLIP" and engaging the safety. The person tries to tell Lomgmire about the Safe Action trigger but Walt wasn't having any.

There's also the constant references to registered firearms in Wyoming

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't mind too much in TV and Movies, but in books it really irritates me. Can't the writer do a tiny bit of research? "He thumbed the safety down on his Glock 9MM". Sheesh! "He fired two shot's from his .25 Browning and both his targets fell dead fifty yards away". Yeah, right.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I saw a History Channel show about WWII in which the German troops were carrying AK 47-style rifles. I seem to remember that the AK 47 was first made after WWII. I think it was about 1948.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My wife is watching the Supernatural series for the 20th time, which is full of gun "errors". In the one episode Dean shoots a killer clown with a sawed off 12 gauge loaded with "Rock salt" leaving 9 pellet holes in the clowns chest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw a History Channel show about WWII in which the German troops were carrying AK 47-style rifles. I seem to remember that the AK 47 was first made after WWII. I think it was about 1948.
A lot of times when you see an error like that it's because that's what the property Master could get

·
Registered
43 Posts
The more I read the "Longmire" novels the more I believe the author is doing it on purpose. Like he knows Glocks don't have safties and a .45 won't blow a hole in you big enough to drive a bus through and there is no firearms registration in Wyoming but he writes it anyway

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
The more I read the "Longmire" novels the more I believe the author is doing it on purpose. Like he knows Glocks don't have safties and a .45 won't blow a hole in you big enough to drive a bus through and there is no firearms registration in Wyoming but he writes it anyway
Well there are SOME registered guns in Wyoming... Wyoming allows class 3... So registered machine guns...

·
Premium Member
13,534 Posts
Last one I read - about a year ago and I can't remember its title, was about really goofy bank vault burglary, and was also sort of a send up of J. Edgar - who was portrayed as being hilariously senile - sorta like the dope in the WH. Anyway, towards the end of the book the Bureau's lead agent/hero is shot and killed by a "burst of fire from a DeLisle smg" (author's words) Well...um...DeLisles were really nifty items, but (a) they were built using SMLE bolt action receivers, (b) they only held seven rounds of .45acp, (c) along with the Welrod pistol they were virtually silent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone mentioned Louis L'Amour? I have to shake my head every time I read "How The West Was Won" when one of the main characters ,Linus Rawlings, fires three shots as fast as he can aim with what (based on the time period) must be a flintlock

To be fair though it's still a good book

21 - 31 of 31 Posts