Firearm purchase question`

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Raif, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Raif

Raif New Member

I am bipolar and I have been put in the hospital. I want to buy a firearm and spent 8 years in the army. I have gotten a letter from a doctor that said I am mentally competent. So my question is, will I be able to get a firearm? I am in alabama

2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Ralf IMHO It's best is you stay away from fire arm ownership. I am assuming you are stable on your meds as you write this. The problem is for various reasons most, every one I have knowledge of, go through periods for whatever reason they are NOT stable on their meds.
    I noticed you don't mention talking to the doctor about this. I suspect you know his answer will not be the one you seek. The danger to yourself and the community is real no matter how well you feel at this point in time.
    Good luck to you, stay on your meds no matter how good you feel.

Old Ron, crystalphoto and joe45c like this.

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I can't answer your direct question because it depends on how you got to the hospital and whether you were legally deemed dangerous at the time. A simple diagnosis of Bi-Polar is not enough to keep you from getting a gun. My daughter is bi-polar and on meds. She owns an arsenal of guns, all purchased legally. But she has never been hospitalized for bi-polar. Get a copy of the questions you have to answer on the federal and state forms and see if you can answer the questions to the state's satisfaction.

LDBennett

Old Ron, Broot and joe45c like this.
  4. Raif

Raif New Member

I have never been deemed dangerous. I also had a psychiatrist say that I was completely competent. I have also been told that I was misdiagnosed as bipolar by a psych.

5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

We don't write or enforce the rules here at TFF and have no say
    as in who gets to purchase firearms based on mental condition.
    Contact the ATF.

crystalphoto likes this.
  6. Raif

Raif New Member

It wasn't a question about you enforcing rules, it was actually a question if anyone knew the laws for alabama and/or they had to deal with it before.

7. LDBennett

NO....don't contact the BATF. Review the questions asked at the time of purchase in your state before hand to see if any would trip you up. That will determine whether you can buy a gun legally. If you contact BATF you que them on to your problem and may create problems where their is no problem. BATF is not your friend. Their history is anti-gun and anti- gun owner. I am not suggesting lying on the forms but that you determine for yourself if there is a problem with gun ownership for you. The government might stick you on a no-fly list without you knowing or some other list that will stick with you the rest of your life.

LDBennett

8. Raif

Raif New Member

Yeah, I wasn't going to contact them. I was actually thinking about contacting the NRA. I figured they might know more than anyone about it.

9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Dr says you are mentally competent BUT you have been hospitalized due to the Bi-Polar condition. It can go either way.

crystalphoto and joe45c like this.
  10. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

You we're hospitalized with mental issues.......what is the opinion of the second doctor. Did you voluntarily commit?

joe45c likes this.
  11. Raif

Raif New Member

Yeah, also the last doctor i saw was the one that said I was fine.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  12. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Your first post clearly States you are bipolar, then you are not bipolar.............these waters are too "muddy" for me as in water that passes under a bridge. I don't deal with things that live under bridges......

crystalphoto likes this.
  13. LDBennett

It all depends on the exact wording on the forms. It varies from state to state. And there is the Federal form as well. An Internet search may reveal the forms. There are question about mental health on the forms but they seem to be geared towards mental conditions much worse than Bi-polar. They also ask about hospitalization for mental issues (legally forced, as I remember it). Get the forms and decide for yourself. If there are still questions since you were pronounced "under control" or whatever then pursue avenues that might allow you to have gun ownership. Bi-polar runs in my EX's family and the kids all have it to some degree. Most all the kids have guns or shoot guns with no problems. It is the hospital visits that may determine if legal gun ownership is possible for you.

LDBennett

14. Raif

Raif New Member

Actually I said I am bipolar because I have had that put in my records at one point and it doesn't leave them. Also, I said that a doctor said that I was misdiagnosed with it. I never changed my statement saying otherwise. As long as that is in my record I say I am bipolar.

15. Shooter45

I became concerned when you wrote this.:

If you look at what i said, A psychiatrist has labeled me competent. So I have talked to a doctor about it before. I dont want to hurt people or hurt myself. Also, being bipolar does not make you a risk to other people or yourself with a firearm. Though the doctor i talked to said I was misdiagnosed with bipolar. One way or another I am going to get one. I have had 2 people pull a gun on me and one pull a knife. I have a letter from a doctor saying that I am completely competent. By doctor I mean psychiatrist.