firearm "sports"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShawnDow, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Well, I have come to a startling revelation :eek:.... I enjoy shooting, fixing guns, and reloading... But, Although I hunt.. that doesn't seem to be my big "thrill" with shooting :(. Don't get me wrong.. I have a 200# six point hanging in the garage right now... but I don't think hunting is my "driving" force to shooting and gun ownership.:confused:

Now. I live in small town Tawas City, Michigan near Lake Huron... Is there any one out there familiar with the area, or what shooting clubs might be out here? I try to talk to the local boy at the range (Iosco County Sportsman Club)... but everything they have as "sport shooting" is in the middle of the day and middle of the week... How the heck am I to participate with them when I'm at work?:mad:

I wouldn't mind participating in a "move through" shooting range (running from target to target and shooting from different positions) :AR15firing:Are there any ranges like that in mid-Michigan, open on Fridays and Saturdays (My days Off)

Any way.. I'm just thinking aloud. Any info and input would help.
    Shawn Dow

2. aa1911

aa1911 Well-Known Member

I set up my own in the woods (national forest) about once a month and do a whole day of it. I have a bunch of home made target stands and steelies I set up and use the terrain, my truck or whatever I can find for cover and to create a 'course. With a little bit of creativity, you can create quite a fun course from not too much.

Tarps make great 'walls' for temporary 'cover' to move. Simple stands (like coffee cans filled w/ concrete and a steel or PVC pipe sticking out of it, use spring clips to pin up the tarps)

building moving target setups now too with string and pulleys.

IDPA uses empty plastic barrels a lot, they are great but are aweful bulky. But sky's the limit.

Are you setting up on your property or does your setup need to be mobile? or both?

3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Tawas City..when I was about 15, I went up there and went to a place called "Gordens Creek". It was a party spot that everyone flocked to and while visiting someone up that way, they took me up there. I remember the sand dunes and the ice cold water and thats about it.....

4. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Several comments and observations:

I read an article recently where anyone shooting on public land is going to be considered a litterbug (and arrested) if they leave empties on the ground. Federal officials are setting up road blocks and asking if those entering or leaving fed lands were shooting, and where are their empty casings. I'm sure it will come to state officials soon. Mixed feelings about it, but I have mixed feelings about the whole world now.

No hunting isn't the only enjoyment I get from firearms. I love the smell of burnt gunpowder. I enjoy having the ability to hit a target with a projectile(s) fired from a gun. I am comforted by being able to defend myself, my family, and my property with a firearm. I enjoy the "boom" "whack" of being able to shoot something then feed my family. ( I go to the butcher in a day or two to pick up my venison ).

I truly marvel and love that we have a constitution and bill of rights giving us certain freedoms. Although lately I feel just a tad concerned that it isn't going to last.

Last. I have always enjoyed shooting and ten years ago when I decided to move away from the city, I planned to have a place where I can shoot in my back yard. It worked out so far. I love it, but can see where it may come to an end. Thats the problem when you don't own the world.

anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject.
    I wish you luck. :)

5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

That pretty much sums it up!.

6. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member