The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I have an 1816 Harpers Ferry, a '61 Trenton and an Enfield that I have fired a lot, so if old guns are unsafe, those should have blown a while back. I also shoot an original Colt Navy, a Colt Army, and a couple of Pocket Pistols, as well as a couple of M1842 pistols. They all work fine and nothing has blown up yet. Of course, you need to determine, or have an expert determine, if your gun is safe to fire; some are rusted-out relics that should never be fired, but IMHO, the main reason not to fire antiques like your 63 Springfield is that it can decrease the value.

Jim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
About firing and value, I had a Napoleonic musket that been converted to percussion that I fired maybe 100s of times. My Dad bought it for me in Mobile, Alabama for $1.50 in 1940. Shot it using marbles since I didn't have a mold. It could group about 4" at 20 yards. I sold it about 20 years ago for $300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.