The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded my first 50 rounds with the Lee Hand Loader and my first ever 9mm rounds. I loaded .38 and .357 in the past but I tried to be a bit more precise with ammo that will be shot from a semi-auto. My lengths still aren鈥檛 exact but within .005 of each other. I weighed out each powder load on a digital scale. 3.8 grains each. This hand loader is a LONG process but gets the job done. 馃檪

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Looking pretty good. You do have one that looks like it has a high primer. The one in the block, just above the one standing up on the right.
I see the one you mean. I had a couple that seemed to have really tight primer pockets and that may have been one.

Super Moderator
Looking pretty good. You do have one that looks like it has a high primer. The one in the block, just above the one standing up on the right.
You have got an "Eagle Eye".
I was thinking that the right cartridge in the front looked a tad longer than the others.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Willie you did good for the first time with that loader.

BTW, You'll probably never get a chance to critique all these "experts" reloads.
I鈥檓 not really sweating it too much. It鈥檚 good to know if another pair of eyes may see something amiss.

I really need a powder measure. Weighing out each load and then seating the bullets took over 4 hours.

Registered
I need a bullet extractor. 馃樁
You will definitely need one eventually :)

For now I would just mark the high primers, and shoot them. If they do not fire on the first attempt the second, re-cock the hammer and try again.
The first strike will seat the primer and the next one will set it off. (note, this only works with primers that are at least flush with the case and not sticking out)
It could also be they work properly, than you know that for the next time.

3.8 grains behind a 124 grain bullet might not make powerfactor for USPSA and if it does it will be close.

Registered
Congratulations on completing your lot of 9 mm with the Lee Hand Loader. It's a real challenge compared to using any press but will work. Takes a week to load 50 rounds but it's still cheaper than buying ammo these days.

The most difficult part is seating the primer. I still remember my dog hiding when I did that because of the errant explosions. I did learn to do it with no problems but it takes a lot of practise.

Registered
Nicely done, WillieB. I used the hand press for rifle loads for a while before getting a turret. It's a great tool, and I still use mine for pulling live primers. I recall being amazed at how much better my reloads performed vs. factory ammo.

TFF Chaplain
I use a lee hand primer.

Get yourself a kinetic bullet puller. Sooner or later you'll want it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
3.8 grains behind a 124 grain bullet might not make powerfactor for USPSA and if it does it will be close.
Well, these first few are just test loads. According to Hodgdon鈥檚 online reload data for Titegroup behind a 124 gr bullet, min starting load is 3.6 and max is 4.1. I tried for a happy medium with the 3.8 grains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts