The Firearms Forum banner

First Buck

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Double Deuce 
#1 · (Edited)
My Son got his first buck in the Utah hunt yesterday, it was a nice 4X3, here is a pic.
1 shot with a 30-30 using Hornady LeverRevolution ammo. It was about 75-80 yards away.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That right there is something to be proud of!!

Looks like he did it opensighted too. He could probably teach some of these experts on TV a thing or two about hunting. Bet his dad taught him well. Good job!!!

How much meat did you get out of it?

#4 ·
Congratulations. I always think it is terrific when a youngster gets a fine buck such as this.

I never even looked through a scope until I was sixty-eight years old. I do now have a scope on my deer rifle, but mounted with low profile "see-through" rings. The last one I got was using the open sights. Couldn't see in the scope as well as I wished.....

Nice picture to remember this watershed moment. :) :)

#7 ·
That right there is something to be proud of!!

Looks like he did it opensighted too. He could probably teach some of these experts on TV a thing or two about hunting. Bet his dad taught him well. Good job!!!

How much meat did you get out of it?
Well to be honest I am not sure how much meat yet, it weighed 180 pounds at the processor, I dont care for deer meat much I like elk. So we are getting jerky and sausage made out of it, I have taken several deer over the years to this proccessor and they make excellent jerky.

#8 ·
A little more story, I was in a hurry to get unpacked and out of the rain before.
It was one of those stories you here all the time but never see, we were coming back from being out all morning and not seeing much, a storm was coming in and we were trying to beat it back to camp, I was going down this dirt road pretty quick and I glanced over and he was standing 10 feet off of the road, well I pulled over really quick and by the time my son had his rifle out and loaded he had run across the road and about 100 yards up the side of a really steep hill/rockslide, We hurried off to the side of the road and the hill was so steep he actually had turned around and was heading back down. We had gotten about 20-25 yards closer and he tried to go up the hill again and hesitated a moment. Just when he stopped my son shot and dropped him, he rolled down the hill and landed about 3ft from the road. I backed up the truck and after taking pictures we put him in tha back and were dropped him off at the proccessor an hour later. I gladly paid the extra 10 bucks to have them gut him while the rain poured down. It was totally being in the right place at the right time, but my son didnt freeze or get flustered, as soon as a good shot preseneted itself he was ready and took it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.