The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here I go!
Loaded my first bullet last night but before I do more I have a question.
These are Makarov 9mm for my CZ 82. Cast bullets and trimmed down cases from some regular 9mm brass.
All my specs are good. According to my new Lyman reloading manual,which is a great book! Total length is .984. Mine measured .983 and I know after I shoot it will shorten a bit. Powder is Win 231. My bullet is 93 gr. from Missouri bullets.. Powder is 2.5gr to 3.7gr.. My loaded round I used 3.1 gr..
Question: It looks like my case is about half full of powder. I guess that's right but just wanted a confirmation

·
Super Moderator
28,074 Posts
I don't have a manual in front of me to double check your dimensions but I am curious as to why you started a workup at 3.1 grn.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't have a manual in front of me to double check your dimensions but I am curious as to why you started a workup at 3.1 grn.
I heard of others using this weight and have had good luck with it . It seems be right in the middle. Or is there a reason to start out at the very low end of the spec?

·
Super Moderator
28,074 Posts
For safety, yours and the firearms, you should always start a work up at the bottom and gradually increase while you check for pressure signs. Someones "Pet" load is the wrong way to start.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For safety, yours and the firearms, you should always start a work up at the bottom and gradually increase while you check for pressure signs. Someones "Pet" load is the wrong way to start.
Ok, WHich pressure signs would maybe show up? I will dump the load and go for the 2.5gr. When I bring it up do I increase 1 gr. at a time?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Doc - you had me beaming with pride and confidence in you until "I heard of others using this wieght........" You cannot reload your powder charges by 'how they look in the case'. This is especially true with pistol cases. If the charge you loaded was called for in your Lyman Manual as a starting load, you are in good shape.

You ARE just starting, so do as the book says - start at the beginning and work your way up. You can look at reloading in 2 ways - either it's a chore, or it's something that is fun to do. If you enjoy shooting, then working up your load is part of the fun.

·
Super Moderator
28,074 Posts
For the most part watch your primers. Look for cratering, flattening and backing out. Don't go speed firing either, pay attention to each round making sure that it made the trip all the way down the barrel and didn't get stuck before hand from to light of a charge. You should be safe by increasing your charge weight by .2 grn at a time. Don't make up a lot of each, just 5 or 10 and see how they perform. Look at the brass. Look for excessive bulging or splits.

·
Super Moderator
41,380 Posts
I load 3.4 grains of Win 231 behind a 95 grain XTP bullet. I also shoot them through a CZ-82.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok my gun did not blow up and I'm alive.
Man what a mild recoil!! I loaded 5 rounds at 2.9 gn.
I took pics of my 10 yard shots. Two in the same hole so thats why you see a 4 shot group. There is a mark on the case that you can see in the pics. What is this and do I need to fix it?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Good going, Doc. You're off to a great start.

From the smudges on the cases, looks to me like you are not getting a great deal of pressure in your cases on firing. The lack of case expansion on firing tells me that you are not getting complete sealing of the case (The fired case has to swell to seal the gases, or you will get a slight blow-by as indicated by your blackened smudges on the cases) Same thing with the primers.

If you are happy with what you have, go with it. I think you could CAREFULY increase your powder charge 1/10 of a grain and try those. I don't have your edition of the Lyman Manual, but I would increase the charge as long as you are not anywhere near the maximum load, but again only go a 1/10th of a grain at a time.

If this were a rifle or heavier load you could increase at a faster rate, but with the very small powder charge you ought to play it safe and increase slowly. Jim

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not getting alot of pressure when firing,,,would that get better as I move up in my powder? Or how do I fix that?
Good going, Doc. You're off to a great start.

From the smudges on the cases, looks to me like you are not getting a great deal of pressure in your cases on firing. The lack of case expansion on firing tells me that you are not getting complete sealing of the case (The fired case has to swell to seal the gases, or you will get a slight blow-by as indicated by your blackened smudges on the cases) Same thing with the primers.

If you are happy with what you have, go with it. I think you could CAREFULY increase your powder charge 1/10 of a grain and try those. I don't have your edition of the Lyman Manual, but I would increase the charge as long as you are not anywhere near the maximum load, but again only go a 1/10th of a grain at a time.

If this were a rifle or heavier load you could increase at a faster rate, but with the very small powder charge you ought to play it safe and increase slowly. Jim

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Doc - I've found that if you are loading minimum pressure at the 'starting load' as given in your manual, that sometimes there isn't enough pressure building up in the case to completely seal the case in the chamber when firing. To answer your question, yes, as you increase the charge you are increasing chamber pressure.

That's the main purpose of the cartridge case - to seal the chamber. The brass case expands to seal the gasses behind the bullet on firing. You do - of course - have to watch your loads and keep them below the maximum load levels. By the way, that is why you have to re-size fired cases - they have expanded to seal the chamber, and you have to squeeze (size) them back to reload them.

Again, if you are at the 'suggested starting load' in your progression, I'd say to increase the charge SLIGHTLY (1/10th of a grain) and try those. If you are still getting powder residue blow back, do the same thing - SLIGHTLY increase again. Whatever you do - do not go to a maximum charge. If you are still getting blow-back with mid-range loads, learn to live with it. Sounds like you are able to load and test without a long trip to a range, and that helps.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Great start Doc ! pic of the 82?? ;):D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are two of mine. I have 4 and these are my two favorite ones. The other two is a stock one(all black) and then a two tone one. But these are far the best looking ones

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious if you are loading .364 (9mm Mak/9x18) or .355 (9x19/9mm Luger)? I recently got a Mak in 9x18 and want to reload some but I was told it is bad juju to try to run 9mm luger thru them due to the smaller diameter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cut the 9mm down to the mak size with a lee trimmer . After you shoot them one time they expand for a better fit I was told. I shot 40 today and had no issues

1 - 20 of 25 Posts