First firing of my Uberti n.a.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by John Semper Fi, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. John Semper Fi

John Semper Fi Member

I got to fire my new piece last week. It was nasty, temp around 40 and a light rain coming down steady. I didn't plan on going so I didn't load up the cap and ball cylinders ahead of time. My wife gave me a second cylinder for Christmas, so double the fun. When we got to the firing point, I started loading one of the cap and ball cylinders but my hands were so stiff that it took me five minutes to load two cylinders out of the six and gave up.

For the first time since 1995 I got to shoot something. We all forgot to bring targets, and there was only one there to shot at. The first shot aimed center mas and hit the target on the center line and just off the right shoulder. I was impressed. None of the guys I was with saw a black power pistol shoot so they were all watching. After that they all started shooting at the same target so I don't know if I even hit it. I loaded the conversion cylinder and shot twelve rounds at some junk laying around. But it was useful to get familiar with it. It was a hoot for sure! I checked the local state range out and bought a permit to shoot there, so I can see what I can do.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    jim brady, joe45c, sharps4590 and 4 others like this.
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good to see you are back in the game....

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Well...if you accidently inhaled any of that BP smoke, it's in your system and usually it's an immediate addiction....and there is no 12 step program...so good luck!!.....:D

4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

John - I've always been interested in these 'conversion cylinders' for the Civil War revolvers. I looked up (as best as I could) "Uberti na" and I assume yours is a .36 Navy? Best I could find on this conversion was for ".38 Long Colt". Am I wandering off base? If it is .38 LC, are you firing that ammo or .38 Special?

My most recent percussion revolver was a replica 1858 Remington .44 that I built from a kit many years ago. My eldest son has it now, but I've often thought about a .45 LC conversion cylinder for it. It would be fun to do that. I did manage to kill a rattler with it 40+ years ago. Pretty accurate.

I think I've watched too many Clint Eastwood westerns... That converted .36 Colt he used gave me the bug to try one of those.

John Semper Fi likes this.
  5. John Semper Fi

John Semper Fi Member

I got some in my lungs. Not much, but enough

sharps4590 and Grizzley1 like this.
  6. John Semper Fi

John Semper Fi Member

It's a New Army .44. When I bought it at a gun show the seller dropped the the asking price on the almost new piece, and also went down on the price of the conversion cylinder and threw in a box of .45 Colt cowboy rounds. Sunday afternoon was a great time to go. He said I made his weekend as I was his only sale.

[​IMG]

jim brady, ScrapMetal and Kweeksdraw like this.
  7. John Semper Fi

John Semper Fi Member

Recently went again I remembered a target. My first cap and ball shot hit the tip of the right ear (aiming at center mass), and the rest, both cap and ball and .45 Colts hit in the left shoulder and ribs. I did get two decent groups of three rounds. All but a few rounds hit the silhouette, all hit paper. Not great but ok. I'm having a tough time getting use to the tall front sight. Any tips?

sharps4590 and BlackEagle like this.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Practice. Keep it up. Fine looking gun.

I enjoy mine. What are you using for powder?

John Semper Fi and sharps4590 like this.
  9. sharps4590

John, how far are you shooting?

As it's nearly impossible to widen the groove in the Remington's, without some careful mill work, it might be possible to thin the front sight to get more light around it so you can see it better. Unless it's too thin already. I want to remember those front sights are already fairly thin, no?

Here's a recent group, last week, from a new "Baby Dragoon" with a 4 inch barrel. It was only 7 yards but was offhand, 9 rounds. With the rear sight in the hammer of the open top Colts I took the hammer out and widened the notch...so I could see the front sight!! They should shoot pretty good. I think most of them shoot a bit to the left.

P1010014.JPG

John Semper Fi and BlackEagle like this.
  10. JohnCEa

JohnCEa Member

Nice gun! Goodluck and enjoy!!!!! :machinegunner:

John Semper Fi and BlackEagle like this.
  11. John Semper Fi

John Semper Fi Member

Shooting at 25 yards, offhand with a two hand grip. The first time I shot was the same distance. I haven't fired it much due to old age and poor weather. so at that point I'd only shot 9 rounds of Colt .45. This time was the first time shooting cap and ball. The State range is open now so I'll be able to practice more.

The front sight is thin already, and the top is rounded so it's hard to see with the rounded sight. I tried painting the edge of the front sight white but it still wasn't any easier to see. I might try a brighter color. It makes sense it shoots to the right because I'm a lefty. Maybe I'll try without glasses.

25 grams of Goex 3fg with a .454 Hornaday ball.

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  12. sharps4590

Grains, not grams. I think I'd move up to 15 yards and see how both the revolver and you do. It's frustrating as all get out when a firearm makes you feel as if you can't hit a barn door from the inside.

John Semper Fi, BlackEagle and joe45c like this.