First New Pistol in 18 years!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Saito100, May 8, 2009.

1. Saito100

Saito100 New Member

It has been 18 years since buying my last pistol, it was a cheap .32 auto. I had owned many pistols over the years, Browning BDA, Walther PPK-S, Colt Commander .45, But like a lunkhead I no longer own them.
    I will be retired in a month, and making a move. I would like a larger round for home defense. I have read the debates that this subject can cause, and that is not my intention. I am not really looking for a CCW, but some solid home defense without breaking the bank. I would like to know what everyone thinks is a good home defense round.
    .9mm
    .40 S&W

Obviously the .40 and .45 will do the job nicely, but there has been pro and con on the .9mm. what about the .9mm with HP? How about the .380?

I have looked at the following pistols,
    Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry .380
    Bersa Thunder comes in 9mm .40 and .45
    CZ 40 .40
    Llama Minimax .40 & .45
    SIG P225 9mm
    and Taurus Millennium Pro .380 .40 & .45

I considered the Hi Point but thought these others listed would be a little better quality . OK a lot better quality!

All opinions would be appreciated, especially on the size of round for home defense.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

From the list you suggested, the SIG and the CZ stand out in quality. Taurus and Bersa are good, but those two are outstanding. (I don't really know anything about Llama.)

Especially if you don't already have ammo, I would shy away from the .380 idea. I haven't seen any ammo for that anywhere for a solid 6 months. 9mm is still frequently available in small quantities even in my local gun shops, but never .380.

Whatever you do get, be sure to let us know!

3. Saito100

Saito100 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I was at Wally World yesterday, and stopped by to see what their ammo supply looked like. Pretty much an empty case except for about 5 boxes of .40SW, White box. Winchester?

Would the 9mm be good enough for home defense if using a HP? I know a FMJ would probably go right through and hit someone or something else!

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

I have heard alot of bad about Taurus semi autos. CZ is a good gun... i would get in 9mm though. 9mm is very viable. It cycles much better than 40 or 45.

Right about now i have been seeing Glocks sell for right at $500 in 9mm.

mike
    gn

5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the 9mm in some loadings are better than others cor-bon 115 gr jhp are the best of the lot. but there are other real good choices even the non +p winchester silver tip has had good results in one shot stops. which by the way is a odd way of measureing effectiveness in my opinion . it's all about shot placement. the 40 and 45 are the best choices in my opinion but the 9mm will be cheaper to shoot and again there is nothing wrong with it's effectiveness if you do your job as a shooter.stay away from the 380 and as for the guns the cream of the crop of those you listed is for sure a sig 225. even in it's police issue form the p-6. but be advised the older p-6 surplus sigs were fussy about hollow points until a change in design of the feed ramp was done around 1979 ?

6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Just to add to what was already said, you have a lot of good choices there, above all shoot the gun to make sure it feels good and you can shoot it good. If ya can't hit a barn door with a .45 but can nail a 10 X 12 area with a 9mm--well enough said. I would stay away from hollow points in an auto, some guns have known feeding issues, or will jam. Mr bad guy is not gonna wait while ya clear a jam. Hope this helps.

7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

good advice about hollow points but there are some that feed alot better than others. federal hydra-shock being one of them it's all in the ogive of the bullet. also the new line from hornady feed well . i know this because i shoot a sig p-6 not to be confused with a 225 not the same gun. and a later production 225. the p-6 has issues with some hollow points the 225 does not. also i enjoy my smith and wesson 39-2 it was designed to shoot winchester hollow points in exhaustive testing done by the IL. state police when they swiched from revolvers to autos. this was prior to them switching to the model 59

8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I have looked at the following pistols,
    I am not really looking for a CCW, but some solid home defense without breaking the bank. I would like to know what everyone thinks is a good home defense round.
    .9mm
    .40 S&W

In my opinion, these are not the best guns for home defense, that would be a shotgun. That's just my opinion! I personally like the larger caliber hand guns for SD, but anything will do, so long as you are confident in the gun, and can hit what you shoot at, while being shot at! Shot placement is much more important than the number of hits made. Even the lowly .380 gives good ballistic results with 10" - 14" of penetration in ballistic gelatin.

9. army mp

army mp Member

One other weapon I would add as a side note would be the taurus judge. There are two reasons . for the judge. One it fires 410 shot shells or 45 long colt. So you should be able to find one or the other Ammo. The second reason you stated this would be a home defense gun. Everyone’s situation is different. In that a 9mm 40, or 45 would punch straight threw walls neighbors some one in another room. The 410 would have minimal penetration, with high shock.

10. Saito100

Saito100 New Member

I agree, a shotgun would be safer on the neighbors, and people in the next room, the sound of a round being racked in the chamber would be enough to stop anyone in their right mind in their tracks.

Problem with the shotgun, it would be hard to mix in with the wifes decor in the house!

11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

absolutly the shot gun is the best choice but it wasn't one of his options. but i suppose it doesn't hurt to throw that out there in case he didn't consider it before. i like the idea of the "judge" too

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Saito, I am going to add my 2 cents worth, maybe even 4 cents. BTW, welcome to The Forum.

I have a Beretta 92 with silvertip HPs hanging on the head of my bed. I keep a Sig P6 (9mm) with silvertip HPs in the door pocket of my car. I think 9mm is a pretty fair round for home protection.

With that being said, I agree with army mp on the Judge, for home defense. If I were going to have only one pistol for use inside the home, it would be the Judge.

13. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

Nothing more to say. You can get one for around $300 so you can afford the ammo. :eek:

Racking the pump only lets the criminal know where you are and that you're armed. No need to give them anything close to an even break.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  14. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

There are many good guns out there. I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro C 45 cal that has been really sweet so far.(Sorry Glock) It is balanced, has a good grip, has not hiccuped one time. I like it because it has a manual safety as well as a de-cocking mechanism. The trigger is not hard to pull, but it does have a lot of travel before it engages. However, it has worked for me.

In the $500 and under range you can find Taurus, Bersa, Glock, S&W, and others. What matters the most is how you feel about the gun, how it fits your hand, etc. Find a range that rents said pistols and try them out before you purchase and then go have some fun.

Old Guy

15. Saito100

Saito100 New Member

The shotgun was considered, but the wife nixed that Idea. I saw the Judge, and forgot about it, I may reconsider that. I will do more browsing at the local shop, and drop by our gun range, I have been by it a million times, just never stopped. I will see if they rent or not.
    Thanks for all the good input, and once a decision is made, I will post the selection.
    Bob