The Firearms Forum banner

First new rifle in...decades.

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Charles Christensen 
Thats what reloading presses are for. The .444 marlin is a great round. Very close in on game performance to the .45/70. Loaded with .430" 300 gr XTPs at 2200 fps it is a fantastic squirrel rifle, that is if the squirrels youre after are elks.. ;)

I got that same scope on my Marlin 1894 .44 mag. Cept its in a DNZ gamereaper base. Excellent scope for a leveraction. 2X for quick woods work at close range off the shoulder and just enough magnification at 7X for a precise shot off a rest at 100+

Once you get to shooting it you will fal in love with the round. The .444 is like a .44 mag on steroids when loaded with 225 - 275 gr bullets, and with 300-405 gr bullets is equal to .45/70.

is it microgroove or is it traditional deep cut?

They did microgroove up til about 5 years ago, then supposedly went to deep cut. problem is the lazy twist rate they use on the .44 cal barrels. I wish it was 1:20 but its 1:32 which makes it marginal for 240 grainers at 1800 fps (.44 mag velocity) you can probably get away with 300 grainers with the .444 because it pushes em faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.