The Firearms Forum banner

First pistol purchase

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  cluznar 
#1 ·
I am in the process of researching my first pistol purchase. I am looking at a pistol for home defense and for range shooting. (No competitions, just target shooting.) Yesterday, I headed to a big box sporting goods store so I could look at as many pistols as possible. I also hoped to get some advice. I have been leaning toward a S&W SD40. I asked the man behind the counter to tell me why I should spend $100 more for the M&P. He gave a very good argument that the M&P was a mission quality piece and you would never see a police officer carrying a SD. While I would agree with that I also think that I will not be using my pistol in the same manner as a police officer which sort of invalidates his argument. Next, he told me (unsolicited) not to "waste my time on a .40 but to get a 9mm". When I asked why he said "They'll do the same thing and the 9mm ammo is cheaper." This is where a red flag went up. Looking at the data a 9mm won't do the same thing, the .40 has more stopping power. Am I wrong? When it comes to my family's safety I am not concerned with $5 or $10 savings on a box of ammunition. I would really appreciate some advice from the folks here. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Have you fired many handguns before? If not, I would recommend going with the 9mm as your first; you're going to go through alot of practice ammo and the recoil of the 40 is much snappier than a 9 or even the 45acp IMO. I do think the M&P is a good choice, but may/may not be the best for you. Did you compare the guns in your hands and see how they fit your grip? Is there a range close by that rents handguns that you can try out?

More questions, but I'll let ya reply to those first;)

I'll also add that the 9mm will do just as an effective job with proper ammo and aimed shots as the 40 will in the vast majority of cases. More controllable recoil is a + when you're in a defensive situation. Delivered energy isn't everything; there are alot of factors to consider and most of those are determined by the most likely scenario that you'd encounter.

#3 ·
Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth. The odds are that you will never have to use your gun against another human being. So based on that, the most shooting you will do is at the range. 9mm ammo is much less expensive than .40 ammo.

If you ever need to use your gun to protect you and your family, the 9mm will do the job. Granted, it doesn't have the stopping power of a .40, but it will definitely do the job.

For home defense ammo, buy good quality home defense rounds and never, never, never use reloads. For me, I use what the local Police department uses (Speer Gold Dot).

So, my vote is for 9mm unless you really want a .40. Good luck in your choice and whatever gun you buy, don't buy cheap junk, buy a quality, proven firearm.

#4 ·
Spent a lot of time deciding on caliber and ended up with 9mm. Lots of different bullets available, 124 grain JHPs Or 147 grain JHPs will certainley do the job (I carry 147s as do many LEOs). Buy a quality pistol no matter what caliber. I carry a Springfield XDSC and EMP, both quality pieces.

#5 ·
When it comes to my family's safety I am not concerned with $5 or $10 savings on a box of ammunition.
I believe what the previous posters are trying to tell you is that if the ammo cost less you will shoot the pistol more. More practice equates to better shot placement (hopefully), familiarity with the firearm all if which really takes the caliber out of play. A well placed small round is far superior to a large caliber miss.

If you consider the average SD engagement occurs at between 7 - 10 feet you will not find much difference in performance between calibers.

Purchasing should be based on what fits you best and you enjoy shooting. Most of you cheaper firearms are not as much fun to shoot simply because you have to fiddle with them to make them work. After all a very nice, expensive pistol stuck in a drawer somewhere is no match for a shooter comfortable/capable with his Bersa at the ready.

The pursuit of the firearm is actually one of the funnest parts of firearm ownership so enjoy it.

#6 ·
Thanks for the great replies! To answer a few questions: I have not fired a lot of handguns. I have fired a few rounds from a .45 revolver and a ton of rounds from a .22. I know that they are different but I do have quite a bit of experience with long guns of various types. I did hold a fair number of pistols when I was shopping yesterday and the S&W were the ones that felt the best in my price range. It seems that there is a low opinion of the SD line on the forum but I really like the way it felt in my hand. The M&P I held was a .45 though, so that could explain why I liked the .40 better (I am smaller guy) If there are any S&W SD owners out there I would love to hear from you. Thanks again for the responses.

#7 ·
Thanks for the great replies! To answer a few questions: I have not fired a lot of handguns. I have fired a few rounds from a .45 revolver and a ton of rounds from a .22. I know that they are different but I do have quite a bit of experience with long guns of various types. I did hold a fair number of pistols when I was shopping yesterday and the S&W were the ones that felt the best in my price range. It seems that there is a low opinion of the SD line on the forum but I really like the way it felt in my hand. The M&P I held was a .45 though, so that could explain why I liked the .40 better (I am smaller guy) If there are any S&W SD owners out there I would love to hear from you. Thanks again for the responses.
I'm 5'7" and 155#, so not sure if that's "smaller" in your opinion, but I can handle a full size P220 without any problem. Get what best fits your needs and then put in the proper range time and instill good habits.
I have never been a fan of any SW semiauto; but don't let that steer you away from one if they're comfortable for you. They are not bad guns, just not what I prefer.

#8 ·
A 9mm with the right ammo, Double Tap 147 or Gold Dot 124 , etc..will work well enough for defensive use...Plus 9mm is easy to shoot and easy on the pocket book for training ammo...Some first time buyers go too heavy on a caliber that has too much recoil for them to control...They cant shoot their piece well and the muzzle blast and recoil affects them in a negative way, resulting in discouragement and little or no practice.....Learn on 9mm and up gun after you have mastered the 9mm...Practice, Practice, Practice.. Take some gun handling and self defense shooting classes and by all means, have fun...:)

#9 ·
WW: I am smaller... well, at least in terms of height :) Duke: That is about what I needed to hear. Thanks. You guys have been great. I have been very hesitant to post on other forums because it seems the n00bs get flamed. I appreciate the thoughtful responses from everyone.

#10 ·
WW: I am smaller... well, at least in terms of height :) Duke: That is about what I needed to hear. Thanks. You guys have been great. I have been very hesitant to post on other forums because it seems the n00bs get flamed. I appreciate the thoughtful responses from everyone.
We only flame those who buy new guns and then don't post pics; just keep that in mind :D:D

The site owners and mods do a great job in keeping this forum a place you can sit down and enjoy with your kids at your side and where differences in opinion can be discussed in a civil manner.

#11 ·
Welcome from another forum noob Dinger! And this is THE place to discuss arms. Everyone here is absolutely honest. Sometimes honesty isnt really nice, but at least most folks here have a great attitude. Hope you find the right handgun, and the right caliber too! Let us see whatcha end up with, and give a range report when ya have time! Hahaha!

#12 ·
never, never, never use reloads.
I agree with ever thing that has been said in every post EXCEPT this one little statement. Why do you say this?

Ninety five percent of the ammo I shoot are reloads, I trust my reloads more than factory loads. I know how they shoot and that they will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I practice with my reloads and I load my own self defense rounds and I keep reloads in my carry guns.

#14 ·
I agree with ever thing that has been said in every post EXCEPT this one little statement. Why do you say this?

Ninety five percent of the ammo I shoot are reloads, I trust my reloads more than factory loads. I know how they shoot and that they will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I practice with my reloads and I load my own self defense rounds and I keep reloads in my carry guns.
I think he is refering to the posibility of a law suite for using reloads. Though it has never happened, as far as I know, the posibility is still there. I reload, and will use those reloads in my guns while at home, but I do not carry them in my CCW hand guns.

#15 ·
I buy the gun I want and not the gun that costs less to shoot. Buy whatever floats your boat and buy a 22 for plinking. I dont care if 9mm goes down to 5.00 a box. I am going to shoot my 45s as much as I want. Thats what I like and thats what I shoot.

#16 ·
I'm a little late to this party it looks like, but let me say WELCOME.

You asked about why people are down on the SD line of pistols. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that the SD line is Smith's latest attempt at fixing their old Sigma series of pistols, which had a reputation for being problematic. Now don't get me wrong... plenty of people have Sigmas and have never had a problem with them. But a lot of others have had them and they never quite worked the way they were supposed to. Our department bought a few Sigmas for undercover work and had some problems with springs breaking.

Have they fixed those problems in the SD line? I honestly have to say I don't know. The SD's are pretty new and I have not had a chance to try one out. I do have a lot of experience with the M&P line and like them better than most polymer guns, though I'm not a fan of polymer in general.

I suggest what the others have said... try to actually shoot different pistols and different chamberings to see what feels better and shoots better for YOU.

A 22 Long Rifle shot through a bad guy's eye and into the brain will stop him much quicker than a 40 shot through the shoulder.

#18 ·
I have tried everything from a Makarov (in .380) to a Nagant (7.62x38r) and now own a Springer XD9(mm) Service (4") and love it. I holds 16 in the mag, plus one in the chamber, and I can use anything from 120-something grain FMJs to 147 grain JHP, even the Federal +P+ ammo. (I'll see what happens with a few rounds of that, though ;p)

#19 ·
don't worry u won't get flamed on this forum everyone is willing to help, one thing i can say is that u have to feel comfortable with the gun my p22 and marlin 60 just feels right like it was made for me and u just get a gooooood feeling shooting something that feels right

#21 ·
Spend some time looking at test results here:
http://www.brassfetcher.com/oldindex.html
The caliber index is on the left, and it's very easy to navigate. You'll see that the 9mm Rem. Golden Saber performs as well for penetration and expansion as anything else in a larger caliber. These are the two key measures of pistol caliber performance.
I stand by my Glock 19 in this category of guns, ONLY because it is invariably reliable. There is NOTHING more important. For that reason, if I were looking at S&W, I'd go straight to the M&P. In testing, the gun lasted for 53,000 rounds before the slide cracked. Glock is king in that realm as well, but people like different things....

#23 ·
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, the SD line IS S&W's attempt to correct their ridiculously faulty Sigma line - they are junk. On top of that they were a Glock ripoff, and the SD line still looks like it's "trying to be a real pistol" - like the Glock.

If someone GAVE me one of these, I'd sell it and buy a Glock (aka, a real gun). I wouldn't buy a S&W auto, I don't think their worth their weight in metal.

And the vaulted M&P9? Please. I'll take a Glock over that thing any day.

#24 ·
I purchased a springfield XD 40 a couple of years ago. I also looked at the 40 as a better round than the 9mm but even though the gun fit great I hated the SNAP of the 40. I am not a very small guy 6'2" 230. I could handle the gun fine but the recoil was hard to get use to, most especially when double tapping. So, it has been replaced with a EMP 9mm. I have been told that the 9 is a good LADYS round, but for me, for now it's great. I will say that my next purchase will be a 1911 .45 so Double D, I'll be seeing you soon.

#25 ·
I purchased a springfield XD 40 a couple of years ago. I also looked at the 40 as a better round than the 9mm but even though the gun fit great I hated the SNAP of the 40. I am not a very small guy 6'2" 230. I could handle the gun fine but the recoil was hard to get use to, most especially when double tapping. So, it has been replaced with a EMP 9mm. I have been told that the 9 is a good LADYS round, but for me, for now it's great. I will say that my next purchase will be a 1911 .45 so Double D, I'll be seeing you soon.
Come on down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.