First Shotgun - New to the game

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by kmcogar, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kmcogar

kmcogar New Member

Well after 32 years on this earth my Father finally took me out shooting. The old man has 5 shotguns and never took me out when I was younger! We went clay shooting and I immediately became addicted and needed to buy my own firearm. We then went quail hunting and it was a blast! I found a great deal on a Browning BPS Real Tree Max 5 shotgun (http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/bps/limited-availability/bps-realtree-max-5.html). It was on sale at Basspro for $500. Plus it has a $50 rebate. I haven't got to shoot it yet but it feels great. After much research I found out it was part of their 2018 SHOT show production line. So it is a limited availability shotgun design. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Anyhow, I have a few questions. First, I'm looking for good case. I was leaning towards the BOYT Plantation soft case. Looks great and seems like it would last a long time. But, if you have any suggestions let me know.

Second, I do plan on mostly shooting clay, skeet, trap and most of all some waterfowl. But could this firearm work for deer? I also have a friend that hunts deer and I wanted to join him some time. What type of setup would I need to make this shotgun work for hunting deer? (choke, shell size, etc)

Lastly, I've only been quail hunting once. So I am new to hunting. My wife is completely against it for reasons unknown. I don't plan on letting that stop me though. Anyone else deal with a wife that is against the hunt?

Thanks all!

joe45c and carver like this.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FORUM. The case, I prefer hard cases over soft mostly for the protection they offer, but this like all things, get the best you can afford. For deer hunting, if finances allow I'd go for a rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount that can be swapped back and forth with the barrel that came with the gun. Some of these are very accurate with sabot slugs. If not this way, if your gun is equipped with a vent rib on the barrel you could probably get a set of adjustable sights that can be attached to that rib, and experiment with what choke give you the best accuracy with a Foster type slug. The Foster slug was designed to work with a smooth bore barrel, and many will give decent accuracy out to about 100 yards or so. For choke selection, cylinder was generally the prefered choice for a Foster slug, but I.M. may work better, this is something you'll have to play with to find out. Another option is a rifled choke tube, these work like the old English Paradox guns that were smooth bore except for the last few inches of the barrel.

joe45c, jwdurf, carver and 1 other person like this.

3. kmcogar

kmcogar New Member

Thanks! that's great info.

carver likes this.
  4. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've taken many deer with a shotgun, using 00 Buck. I don't own a shotgun that has a rifled barrel, or rifle sights, so 00 Buck works for me. I try to keep all my shots at no more than 50 yards. I have never had but one deer run after being hit with a load of 00 Buck. All the rest stop right there where hit. And I use IC, or Modified choke. I've seen deer taken with 00 Buck out to 100 yards, but that is not a shot I would take. You simply can not be sure that any shot would hit a deer at that range, nor could you be sure that if hit you would just wound the deer, have it escape, and die later. I just keep my shots close, and harvest what I need.

kmcogar likes this.
  5. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF and congratulations on the new shotgun. The BPS is a great gun and with the proper chokes you can do all those thing you mentioned . You can also buy different barrels and swap them out easily.

Boyt makes very nice soft cases, IMO they are a good choice unless you're flying.

No experience with anti-hunting wife, mine is a doll. But even my ex was pro hunting.....or maybe she just liked having me out of the house lol...

carver and kmcogar like this.
  6. kmcogar

kmcogar New Member

Carver, thats great to hear. Its simple enough I think even I can pull that off! I looked up a rifled barrel and they can get quite pricey. I think ill have to try your method for now.

My wife has never had any hunters in the family so when she hears im gonna go out and shoot some birds or deer she immediately brings up bambi...Like that supposed to phase me. Im sure she will be happy of i bring home a fresh dinner. Especially if it was a nice wild turkey

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
    joe45c, carver and (deleted member) like this.
  7. jwdurf

My wife actually doesn't eat any game meat. She isn't opposed to me hunting but she won't eat it. I cook it for myself and my daughter (she's from my first marriage) and for my dad who loves it. I also give lots to friends. Venison is especially easy to give away. I keep the backstraps, tenderloin, sirloin tip and round to cook. I make jerky and salami with the rest, and give lots of it away to friends around the holidays.

joe45c, kmcogar and carver like this.
  8. carver

Be sure to pattern your shot gun before going hunting with it. All guns like certain makes, and types of ammo, over another. Put up a 10" paper plate, or any target for that matter, and see how far away you have to be to get all the shot on the paper plate, or within a 10" group. Try different makes of ammo, because they will all pattern differently. I prefer Remington 00 Buck in the 2 3/4" shells for deer. My gun will handle the 3" shells, but the 3" shells carry a heavier load (12 pellets, instead of the 9 in the 2 3/4") with not much more powder. This makes the shot drop faster at range. They shoot low compared to the 2 3/4" loads at 50 yards.

joe45c likes this.
  9. kmcogar

kmcogar New Member

Wow, now that REALLY good info. I was looking at shells and there is so many different brands it can get a little overwhelming. Thanks again.

10. carver

You are welcome. The rule applies to all shot gun shells. Weather deer hunting, bird hunting, or just shooting clays.

joe45c likes this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

The shotgun and hunting questions have been answered. My wife is not anti-hunting at all, when I did hunt and got a deer, she would literally push me out of the was so she could skin, clean, and butcher the thing. My wife is anti-me spending a dime on anything gun related.

12. jwdurf

As long as I keep buying her perfume and jewelry and paying her credit card bill, she doesn't care what else I buy with the leftovers lol.

carver and joe45c like this.