The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I missed a chance to discuss the merits of Hi-Skor 700- X when I stopped at a LGS and bought a big jug of it. I normally do research first, gathering information, and then making a test purchase of a 1 lb (14 oz) bottle. In this, get what’s available, environment I cut straight to the happy place of buying 8 lbs, the best value quantity.

Jumping ahead....

Took my 700-X loads out to the range today. Both 9mm and 40 S&W rounds shot well. Somehow I got it right on the first try. That usually doesn’t happen and I’m back with my notes reworking powder or seating depth. Even though I made up 3 rungs in each ladder, I could shoot any of the three and be happy. So I guess that means I’ll take the highest charge and test it in every gun I have. Generally speaking, if something fires well in my Honor Guard 9, it’ll be too harsh for my Kimber Micro 9. Same with my Beretta PX4 Storm/Springfield EMP 40 S&W loads. In this case, despite having 3 nines with me, I did my testing with the Kimber Micro 9. I also took the PX4 to shoot the 40s.

Impressions...very economical powder. Loads are quite small, and everything fired nicely. Cases were dirty...but not any worse than other powders I shoot. More importantly, my hands we’re still clean after the shooting session, including recovering my fired brass. One item I did note...the cases are hotter than any other powder I load, and they retained heat longer as well. It’s a bit early to make any decision, but early impressions are quite favorable.

Side note...got a wild hair on Sunday and elected to load some 38 Spl and 45 ACP loads with this 700-X, but I did it with my Hornady Powder dropper. I was prepared to chuck that and break out the FA Intellidropper. That proved unnecessary, as this powder dropped within specs each time. Charges weren’t as accurate as my electronic dispenser, but probably more accurate than I could notice in shooting. Of course that remains to be seen as I haven’t shot any of them...but mid-session checks and the powder was still within tolerances. So while I prefer loading with my FA Intellidropper, if I need to crank out some rounds in a hurry, my powder dropper will do just fine. This powder is NOTHING like Universal!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought 700X like you did, because at the time there was nothing available that I knew anything about. I like it. It's clean burning (once you get it up to pressure), and economical. You won't get the highest velocities possible from 9mm & .40 S&W with it, but you'll get more-than-usable performance. I liked it particularly well for .45 ACP. 4.3 gr./700X with a 200 - 230 gr. anything, works pretty well. If memory serves, 4.6/700X/225 TC will make "MAJOR" for competition, with something to spare.

You said something about taking "the highest charge and test it in every gun I have". PLEASE let me caution you to not "JUMP" to the highest charge. Work up in increments of 1/10 gr. as you go. Rounds like the 9x19 and .40 are fairly small and higher pressure, so a small change in charge weight or seating depth can yield FAR higher pressures than expected. Pay attention to how the primers look, and your slide velocity (how far the empties get flung from the pistol). Back off at the first sign of pressure.
In the .45 ACP, I guess it IS possible to overload with 700X and not see pressure signs on the primers. But when I work up loads with it, usually my HAND gives out before I get concerned about pressures. If I can get a load to reliably operate the slide on my 1911A1, PLUS just a little, I'm usually in good shape. In the 9mm and .40, it's a little more complex, so proceed with all due caution & good judgement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You said something about taking "the highest charge and test it in every gun I have". PLEASE let me caution you to not "JUMP" to the highest charge. Work up in increments of 1/10 gr. as you go. Rounds like the 9x19 and .40 are fairly small and higher pressure, so a small change in charge weight or seating depth can yield FAR higher pressures than expected. Pay attention to how the primers look, and your slide velocity (how far the empties get flung from the pistol). Back off at the first sign of pressure.
Great response, I appreciate your input. Now, as to my comment...whew! Talk about a poor communicator. What I meant by my comment was that of the 3 rungs I tested I will focus on the highest of the three. This puts me about the middle of the range of possibilities with both 9mm and 40 S&W. I don’t have access to a chronograph or an outdoor range, so I stay off max loads.
Thanks for the advice on 45ACP. My first loads were under 185gr Berry’s. I wanted lighter bullets to go with this fast powder.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's cool. If there's room for interpretation about what'll happen next when reloading, I just like to be absolutely clear. The consequences of being wrong can be severe. We WERE on the same page, I just didn't realize it.
I've used 700X in .45 Auto with bullet weights from 200gr. to 255 gr. (for bowling pin matches), and it's very well behaved through that spectrum. I've never reloaded 185s, but 700X should work quite well with them. I'd be surprised if it didn't, anyway...

·
Super Moderator
38,421 Posts
I have some 700X, and truly don't remember when or why I bought it. I never used it until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for something that would work in .32 ACP. Joe (accident) sent me some 75 grain lead bullets and the powder I usually use would not work with it. I got to looking in manuals and saw a load for 700X but not for a 75 grain, but I tried it anyway, it worked great. I might just have to find other uses for it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some 700X, and truly don't remember when or why I bought it. I never used it until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for something that would work in .32 ACP. Joe (accident) sent me some 75 grain lead bullets and the powder I usually use would not work with it. I got to looking in manuals and saw a load for 700X but not for a 75 grain, but I tried it anyway, it worked great. I might just have to find other uses for it.
It’s appears to be quite a versatile powder, and seems to be economical as well. I wouldn’t say it’s a favorite powder, as I’ve only shot 9mm and 40 S&W, but I was well satisfied with the results. I’m hoping to get out to test my 38Spl and 45ACP loads soon. I do prefer it over Universal, though I hate to think it. I still have over 15 lbs of Universal left.
Anyway, I still have multiple projectiles to work up in 9mm, which I think I’ll do before moving on to 380 ACP. As well, I want to test my 135 gr Sinterfire bullets in 40 S&W. Right now there’s only 700-X load data for the 125gr SF, but I can use that as a starting point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you like W231, you should like IMR-700X. It's about the same burning rate, meters almost as well, and usually burns pretty clean. GENERALLY, I can't think of an application for W231 that couldn't be served by 700X equally well, and the converse. I tend to prefer 700X because it doesn't eat the plastic hopper on my powder measure (don't ask).

·
Registered
278 Posts
GENERALLY, the lower pressure the round, the better 700X will do in it. It's a shotgun powder, used to develop loads in the 8,000 psi and above range. It works fine at higher pressure (prolly over 18,000 psi, in my experience), but lower pressures don't usually KEEP it from performing well.
It ought to be right at home in .380, but it's a little "short-legged" to get the most out of 9x19mm. It'll work fine in starting loads, but max loads with it usually won't get the most out the cartridge. Similar situation with the .40 S&W.
You can prolly get 75 - 85% of max performance from .45 ACP with it (which is Puh-LENTY!). But if you want 1000 f/s with a 200 gr. bullet, it's not the right propellant.
LOTSA shooters use it for "Cowboy" or factory duplication loads in .38-40, .44 Special, .44-40, .45 Colt, and similar large-volume, low pressure rounds and I'm sure it works famously for them. I'M hesitant to use it in these rounds because it increases my chance of double-charging them, plus I'm of the opinion that God put Alliant (formerly Hercules) Unique on the planet for just such cartridges (I should add that I've gotten neither confirmation nor denial from the Almighty, on this).

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I used 700x mainly as my IPSC powder behind a dry lube 200gr HG 68, in 1985 I shot over 50,000 rounds in a 12 month period. I did not load practice vs match loads, shot the same for both, and my load I used always barely made major when checked at matches, including the Ohio sectionals. My only “complaint” was on very hot days it smoked like heck, had more than one RO ask if I was using black powder. I think it was a combination of the 700x and the dry lube, but towards the end of my “career” I switched to W231 and the smoke went away. Never affected performance but I was definitely “smoking...” lol

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
700X was the first powder I used when I was shooting comp in 32acp and 9mm. Never had a problem with it. When I added 45acp to the list, I changed to Bullseye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts