The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I went to the indoor range the first time a week ago. It was my first time going. I wore the provided muffs which were 3M Peltor X4As (-27db). I was shooting a .22 which was fine but the guy about 4 bays down was shooting what appeared to be a .308 Tavor with a 20" barrel. The concussion was brutal to say the least but since then I've been wondering if those muffs were not enough for that indoors. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
If your ears don’t have a hissing/rings or sounds are distorted, your ears are fine.

With your 22LR the Peltor ear muff should be fine. In the future if someone else is shooting a loud concussive firearm, you mite consider inserting foam plugs into your ears along with the ear muffs. Also. Purchase your own ear muffs. You never know what the persons before you have growing in their ears. Peltor is a good brand of hearing protection. I have two of the Peltor Shotgunner (-21db) ear muffs for over two decades now. Peltor are easy to disassemble to do a thorough cleaning of the cushion surround and foam lining. Passive ear muffs cost between $25-$45 (U.S.) were as the electronic ear muffs which have two external microphones and a amplifier circuit that will cut off the amplifier with any concussive sound which will cost between $45-$250 (U.S.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Especially when someone is firing a rifle lol.
Yeap. Should've known that it's not what you're shooting, it's what the guy next to you is shooting. What a mess that was. Ugh. Bad first time. I would've duct taped a pillow on top of the muffs and plugs had I known that guy was coming.

If your ears don’t have a hissing/rings or sounds are distorted, your ears are fine.

With your 22LR the Peltor ear muff should be fine. In the further if someone else is shooting a loud concussive firearm, you mite consider inserting foam plugs into your ears along with the ear muffs. Also. Purchase your own ear muffs. You never know what the persons before you have growing in their ears. Peltor is a good brand of hearing protection. I have two of the Peltor Shotgunner (-21db) ear muffs for over two decades now. Peltor are easy to disassemble to do a thorough cleaning of the cushion surround and foam lining. Passive ear muffs cost between $25-$45 (U.S.) were as the electronic ear muffs which have two external microphones and a amplifier circuit that will cut off the amplifier with any concussive sound which will cost between $45-$250 (U.S.).
Wouldn't you agree that -21dB is far too low to be using inside, even if it is doubled up? I had no issue with the muffs that I was wearing while shooting the .22, but when boyo showed up with the .308, the party came to an end real fast.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I never had any issues at indoor ranges and I’ve shot next to guys with pretty heavy duty firearms. A high quality pair of ear muffs go a long way. I prefer indoor ranges for several reasons so hearing protection is not something I slack on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never had any issues at indoor ranges and I’ve shot next to guys with pretty heavy duty firearms. A high quality pair of ear muffs go a long way. I prefer indoor ranges for several reasons so hearing protection is not something I slack on.
Have you ever shot indoors without anything underneath those muffs though? What muffs do you use?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
-26dB. You don't have any hearing issues or anything?
Ace Frehley did more damage to my hearing in one night than years of shooting and no one even thought about ear protection when I started shooting as a kid. Aside from that, those muffs are more than adequate. I pass my yearly hearing test at work with no problems so they must be doing their job.

·
Premium Member
19,971 Posts
When someone is shooting next to me with a high powered rifle i do what prr1957 suggested i insert some foam ear plugs in the ear at least to the side the shooter is on. Sometimes even that almost isn't enough to make me comfortable depending on what the shooter is using and how close he is to me.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Hard to say. Exposure to rifle fire outdoors let alone inside can certainly cause permanent damage. Did the muffs fit properly? Was it painful? Did your ears ring at all afterwards. As other have stated foam plugs AND your OWN headphones are a good idea shooting under the conditions you described. No need to get too buggered up but do take steps in the future to protect your hearing. It’s best to go a little overboard. Protect your ears tinnitus is forever.
Headphones are handi and generally more comfortable for most people. One of the main issues is they can only provide good protection when the seal is good and It is quite easy to slightly dislodge them especially when shooting rifles. If that does occur at the moment of exposure to blast the ear plugs will still be working properly IF they are properly fitted.
The damage results from intensity of exposure and time. Obviously the higher the intensity the shorter duration or number of times exposed are needed to cause serious damage. Repetitive long term exposure to lesser insult can still result in significant damage. Shoot long enough under various conditions and your ears will get hit with some gunfire without adequate protection. It might be your Buddies kid popping off early before everyone is ready or you forgot to put your headphone on. Don’t become cavalier continue to take the time to protect your ears so the most common word out of your mouth later in life isn’t what. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,481 Posts
My son and I used to go to an indoor range every week. I used a pair of headphones I bought at a hardware store. I never had a problem. Over 10 years ago we joined a Sportsman club and it's all outdoor shooting. Not as loud as indoor.

As long as you are wearing adequate hearing protection you will be fine. I still go to indoor ranges to test new guns or take my older kids.

Working in the auto repair business did more damage to my hearing than any indoor range ever did.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got tinnitus in 1959 while out "plinking" with a friend.
We were Elliot Nessing and I fired TWO 45s (one in each hand)
No ear protection of course.

Our rationale was that Lee Sonic Ear Valvs were $4.95 and that bought a lot of ammo in '59
A real regret.

However lately I got my hearing RUINED by some bozo with a braked Snazzeroni Ultra Blasto Cannon even at the FAR END of the OUTDOOR range.
This was even with Peltor active muffs.
(The range provides TUBES for the blasters to shoot through.....but..... no one enforces it)
I now get to have hearing aids. Also got some audiologist made neoprene PLUGS..

It's .....ooo---kay.. :(.. now but still damaged.

Just a few days ago, I realized that I have not "heard" ....any.... of my handguns without plugs and/or muffs.
And don't intend to.
The damage of gunfire on ears is irreversible.
😰

1 - 20 of 42 Posts