The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just unboxed my first ever firearm. It's a Remington 572. I have shot a few times before, but not much.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/rimfire/model-572-fieldmaster/model-572-bdl-fieldmaster

Yes, I wanted a pump-action rifle. I find them fun to shoot. Yes, many people tried to talk me into a Ruger 10/22.

I bought this gun from an individual seller (you can not find them new anywhere right now). It was still in the original box, it had clearly been opened, but the seller said it had never been fired and that it was about a year old. He seemed to be a nice honest guy and I have no reason to doubt him. It certainly looks new.

Question 1

I don't currently own a cleaning kit but I have ordered one that should be here in a week. All I did so far was spray a little Rem Oil into the receiver via the ejection port pointing down the barrel and some onto the ejection area as well. Took about 60 test shots. That ok for now or should I hold off shooting it until I can clean it?

Question 2

22 ammo is also hard to find both where I am and online! I bought a few different kinds based on the limited availability of what I could get. Right now I am just target practicing and plinking. Anything else that is actually purchasable that I should try to get my hands on?

• Lapua Center-X 22LR
  • Federal Game Shock 22LR
  • Remington High Velocity 22 Short
  • Aguila Super Extra High Velocity Copper 22 Short
Question 3 - my main question!

It appears to shoot well so far, at least at the 25ft away target I used for testing. The pump action is a little stiff, but I have read to expect that in a new gun. The big issue is the reload action. It jams a lot! It ejects just fine, but when it goes to bring the new bullet into the chamber and I pull forward the bullets ends up either straight on to the chamber hole but gets stuck in the front in some part I can not see and I have the bring the action back and try again or it ends up pointed up at and angle and jammed forward nowhere near the opening it needs to go into.

This gun claims to handle 22 short, long, and LR. Both of the 22 shorts I have jam when I pump the action MOST of the time. Now I recognize I am new to this, but I have tried to make sure I am pumping with full front to back fluid motions. More force seams help a little, but sometimes when I use too much force it really jams it and I have to pop them out with a screwdriver.

The Federal 22 LR was not much better. I had the best luck with the Lapua 22LR (which are expensive) and feel like they have some lubrication on them, so perhaps that points to some of my issues. I like the idea of using 22 shorts as a quieter option as I do have some neighbors near enough to hear.

Any advice on what to do to resolve this problem?

Question 4
Anything else a new gun owner like me should know right now?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Wish I could help you. My first gun, also, was a 572 Fieldmaster.
Remington 572.jpg

November of 1973. I never had any of the problems you've described.

But I still got it, and it's one of my favorite guns.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That's a cool rifle, I hope you get your feeding issues ironed out. I've shot hundreds of rounds in my 22s before I need to clean them, my Marlin XT-22 excepting. I never bother with shorts, the POI is just too low.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be dirty with packing grease or even machining debris. I have an old semi auto like that which has always worked just fine. I don't think Remington can help you right now. Have they closed up shop already? I've read they are looking for a buyer. What a shame. I'll bet the fellow you bought it from may have a cleaning rod if you don't pick one up yourself. The chamber may need cleaning. Take an old toothbrush to the feed ramp. They say folks do more damage to .22 barrels with rough cleaning and scraping with the rod then from shooting wear.

·
Premium Member
19,188 Posts
Clean it and run 200 rounds threw it. Just use Federal or Remington bulk. Clean it again and I bet you are good to go. I heard that Remington is still selling and servicing their guns. If this doesn't work call them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is a video showing the problem:

Thanks for all the feedback here. As I said I am new to all this and trying to learn as well as problem-solving. I don't really know anything about cleaning a rifle.

I ordered one of these: https://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-kits/legend-cleaning-kit/P00339.html but its not here yet. Will use it when it arrives.

I already lubricated the ejection port and reload mechanism. How will cleaning the barrel and shotting 200 rounds cause bullets to go more smoothly into the chamber during a reload action?

Spent round:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Look at the "sides" of the empty fired cases. The firing of the cases exerts pressure on the side of the brass and any marks within the chamber may show up on the brass. Do you see any unusual marks, scrapes, lines or grooves. That would be evidence of a chamber cut with a dull reamer or maybe a dirty one. The chamber is the end of the barrel where the cartridge sits waiting to be fired. If it is very tight and or not smooth, that could impede smooth chambering and extraction. Cleaning and firing rounds through it might smooth things up.

I'd bought a brand new AR-15 with that problem. Not a chambering or extraction problem but a rough cut chamber leaving grooves in the brass. Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
On a new gun I would tear it down and deep clean it of any packing grease etc. Watch some you tube videos on how to do it.

I would not use screwdrivers like this guy uses. You want a decent set of hollow ground screwdrivers that fit the screws or you risk buggering them up. You need a good gun cleaner like CLP or Ballistol and nylon or brass brushes. Brake or carb cleaner will work great on internal parts but may damage bluing and wood finish. You really need a cleaning kit with brass patch jags. Those plastic jags you have will strip the threads the first time you use a patch that's a little too tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I cleaned the gun thoroughly and it now loads 22LR like a champ. The 22 shorts still load terribly. My local gunsmith basically said that unless a gun is made for shorts only they are always trouble for the rifles that take LR, L and S. He said not to even bother with them. However, I like to use them in the backyard for their quieter nature.

Anything I can do besides load them one at a time?

·
GUNZILLA
5,961 Posts
I would also like to add that when it comes to working the action do not be gentle with it, work it hard and fast. The more you work it the smoother the action will get, and this takes time.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
First you need to be a little rougher on the gun when you load it. It has to be broken in and will be tight intill it is.
Next if the gun is marked for .22 short then it will shot .22 short.
DO NOT JUST SQUIRT OIL IN A GUN. Too much oil is worse then not enough oil parts should be wiped down with oil not have oil just put on them.
A pump .22 is gravity sensitive and needs to be held like it should be to load. So if you are going to video it doing what it is doing then set up the cameras to get a side picture with the gun in the proper position.
When the round almost chambers but does not go all the way into the chamber that is because you are being to nice to it. PUSH the pump harder to chamber the round.
This is not a semi auto YOU are the pressure it takes to load and unload it.
This gun loads the round into the bolt head before it goes into the chamber by the shell lifter so the extractor needs to be broken in so the lifter slides the round under the extractor while lifting the round up and onto the bolt head.
Polishing the feed ramp will help and a good look at the chamber to see if there is any roughness and if there is then the chamber needs to be polished.
BUT
Sense this is a new gun I would say all you need is to load it harder and firing 100s of rounds will do what you need.
Start shooting and after 500 or so rounds see if it still has a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
.22 short is fun, but they don't work well in most semi-automatics. You need to get a gun made for that round. I have a couple of "gallery guns" made for old shooting galleries, and they handle .22 short pretty well.

The 572 is really nice though!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts