The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I have posted on here earlier, my wife has a new found desire for her own handgun. As stated in another post, she chose the XD-9 subcompact.

There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground so we chose to go to an indoor range yesterday. This was my first time at an indoor range, what a busy place! We didn't wait long for a lane, it was fairly inexpensive and everyone was very pleasant. I wasn't very fond of the narrow lanes, I'll stick to the outdoor range.

Anyway, she has very few rounds under her belt on my handguns and these are her first 25 on the xd-9.

All in all, she did fairly well. The round on the far right is her first round, then she started coming in. She shot a total of 200 rounds and stayed much closer to center on her last 25.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Tell her, congrats on picking a fine gun and doing some pretty good shooting.

·
Super Moderator
41,341 Posts
Pretty good shooting.

Not criticizing at all, but you might mention to her to go a little easier on the trigger pull. I have a target around here somewhere that kind of tells a person what they are doing wrong based on where the bullet strikes are.

Here it is, it is in PDF format so if you have adobe reader you should be able to open and print it. This one is for right handed shooters.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty good shooting.

Not criticizing at all, but you might mention to her to go a little easier on the trigger pull. I have a target around here somewhere that kind of tells a person what they are doing wrong based on where the bullet strikes are.

Here it is, it is in PDF format so if you have adobe reader you should be able to open and print it. This one is for right handed shooters.
Thanks for the file, she has been looking over correction targets and is committed to improvement. She is very much a novice having less than 500 rounds under her belt (200 on this gun) but is going in the right direction.

We'll be taking the CCW class in mid March and I want her to be comfortable by then. More range time is the answer.

Tom

·
Registered
502 Posts
Two Fish,

The corrections targets are valid, but generally apply only to groups of an ovoid or 'longer and skinnier' shape.

That group she shot looks fairly uniform and round, no evidence of 'stringing'. I think she just needs to come a couple clicks left. (If sights are not adjustable, drift the rear sight just a bit left, OR, the front sight just a bit right and fire another group.)

All in all, that firearm and ammo seems to agree with the lady. Good job.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Snap caps for her gun, dry fire, and slow down on the range. Speed will come with familiarity and groups will be tighter. Instead of large silhouette target use a smaller bullseye and get her to concentrate on the front sight. Don't rush it, take your time and enjoy the experience and you will both have fist size groups at 50' in no time and half that size up close and personal with your timed and rapid fire shooting.

See post #5
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=103234&highlight=dry+fire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts