The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the good fortune to pick up a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector .32 Long, “I Frame”, round-butt. The number on the bottom of the grip is 100546 and the number on the cylinder is 46987. My plan it to use it as a project gun and intend to purchase the “Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson” hoping it will help me along the way (unless you can recommend a better resource book). For now can you help me with the year of manufacture? Thanks

·
Registered
17,300 Posts
That's a 2nd Model 32 Hand Ejector, 4th Change, made in 1910. Numbers 96126 to 102500.

·
Registered
17,300 Posts
When you say "on the cylinder", do you mean on the face of the cylinder, like this

or do you mean on the crane, like this?

If on the face, that should be the SN of the gun, so your cylinder has been replaced. If on the crane, that's an assembly number, and has nothing to do with the SN.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a magnifying glass to double check the numbers on the Face and on the Crane and those two numbers match, 46987. The number on the bottom of the Grip Handle is very clear. Thanks..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction on my part: I see what you mean now. The numbers I am looking at are on the crane and must be assembly numbers as you stated. Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
BTW: I've had a couple of I-frame Smiths, and a 38 Perfected model, and any grip I have found that will fit a modern round-butt J-frame with also fit those guns. It can make them much more pleasant to shoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts