The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get to tag along with my son and his buddy tomorrow. They invited me to a range that has gongs set at 300 yards. Furthest I've shot to date, is 200 at targets. Taken lots of deer, but the longest is probably 120 yards. Looking forward to trying the longer distance with my.308, 7mm-08, and .223. All seem to show a drop of 12"-13" at this yardage. Experimenting is always fun.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I went to Phoenix to visit some friends and his range had a gong @ 300 yards. I hit it a couple of times with my '73 SRC in 44-40 (Allen Firearms)

It was very fun. I wish I had a range that had one of those.

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
You will have a blast. Enjoy the time.
The top video is of my wife taking her first (and last) shot with a scoped centerfire rifle. The gong is at 300 yards and she is shooting a .204 Ruger. She figures she will quit while ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1sxc0zXblGTVC0nKEs1jQ

·
TFFWPP President
13,992 Posts
Come visit me and I'll take you to Hunters Pointe. Gongs at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600. A 270 and 30-06 are fun, my 25-06 is almost boring. Not enough time for ear muffs to reset so you don't hear the DING. Plus 3" groups gets old.

Regretfully I passed on a deer last fall at 420 yards with it

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
Enjoy yourself there BigT!! It will be fun.

I miss my 500 yard range on the farm and the 1000 yard range on the farm of a friend. After years of them, 100 yards at my house is pretty much passe' with scoped rifles or rifles set up for long range like a Sharps, Roller, Ballard or others of that ilk.

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
It's shooting, nothing changes. Sight picture, breath control and trigger control. It's all between your ears.

BigT, where you goin'? We aren't that far apart.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You'll enjoy it. I too wish I had a range like that nearby. I think the range at PASA park in Barry, Illinois where they used to hold the Masters Pistol matches has some long rifle ranges now. It's actually only 80 miles from me.

You can imagine then how much fun the pop up targets were during basic training way, way back in 1966 with open sights and M14s and M16s. I forget what all the distance spreads were from up close out to 300. The M16s made it easy during the timed event before the target went down and another popped up. Recovering from recoil and then re acquiring the sights with the M14 soon taught you how to come out of recoil onto the next target more quickly.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
We have limited access to a Ministry of Defence range that goes back as far as 600 yards. No steel allowed there because the powers that be decided there was too much danger of ricochet. We used to shoot steel plates from 200 yards. When there we normally start at 200 yards, move back to 300 yards, and for anyone interested we can go back to 500 or 600 yards. That's the North Sea behind the backstop.

upload_2020-9-13_17-1-13.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
We have at least one range around here with 1000 yard capability but shooters are not allowed down range.

If I were to join one of these it might be this one. :) it’s about 40 miles east, just south of the Pawnee grasslands where I normally go.
A851B11B-6C3E-408A-BB95-21280AE2CCA0.png

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back, and we did have a great time. My limited experience, yardage wise, was quickly overcome. All 3 calibers performed equally. I was preparing for the drop that I previously stated, but those numbers were wrong. About 6" seemed to be the norm. Kept the 300 yard gong bouncing, and pretty proud of that. Sharps, it's a membership range just outside of Farmington called 67 Gun Club.

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
Great!! See, 300 yards ain't all that big a deal with a scoped rifle. Glad you got yer feet wet and enjoyed yourself!! Try a 45-70 at 1000. The mid range trajectory of a 45 cal., 500 gr. bullet at 1100 fps is 44 feet.

That's down in Silas' country! My home town has 565 yards and I'm a member there but doggone it, it's still 40 miles over there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I was a little uncertain until that gong started wiggling. All fun after that. Might try contacting them for a membership, but it's about 1hr and 20 minutes from home. MDC has one 15 minutes from the house (100 yds max) but they've been shut down for almost 3 years with bullet trap issues. Also kind of a pain-15 minutes shooting, then 15 minutes cease fire. Never know who might be shooting in the lane next to you either, and if crowded, 1 hr limit.

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
Is that MDC range the one right off I-44?

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
It's an in-line BigT. Not to detract from a good shot by Todd but, as you learned this weekend, it ain't hat hard to do if you know what you're doing and, Todd does.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts