The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the range with my Walther P22Q for the first time. Put 100 rounds of 36g CGI brass through it and I really like this gun.
Positives: surprisingly accurate for a 3" .22LR pistol, I had no issues matching my full size 9mm pistols at 20'. I was able to keep ten rounds in a 5" circle and I am no competition shooter. Feels really solid in hand, such low recoil, a real pleasure to shoot. Everyone should have a .22, just a lot of fun. Oh, and not a single misfire
Negatives: About half the time the slide failed to return to position, needed a little tap. This is a brand new gun, maybe just needs a clean a lube, it seemed to get better toward the end of the box. Maybe just a little break in? Anyway, I'll clean it up and oil it today.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It possibly, might be ammo related? If you can get them with all the ammo problems. Try CCI Mini-Mag solids, or I hate to say it. Remington Golden Bullets. Both of these in my experience are hotter than most run of the mill 36 grain HP's.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I have 2, stay away from Rem.At least stay away from the conical shaped projectile. Round shaped bullet are fine.The first one won't cycle the next rd, it hangs up on the next round due to the bump on the projectile.CCI are the best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my PPQ-22 runs CCI mini mags just fine.
IF those are an issue, try some CCI AR Tactical .22s. Same load but the bullet shape, while still a copper washed round nose (non-hollow point), it's profile is just a tad more streamlined and less stubby than the mini mags. Not by much but noticeable side by side, enough I can tell em apart in a loose pile.
If your semi auto loading firearm can't run AR Tactical, your stuff is broke...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I stopped by the range on my way home, after cleaning and lube on my P22q. 50 rounds and not single glitch, works perfectly. Still surprisingly accurate, 20 rounds center mass at 25 ft. Quick firing too, 10 rounds out in under 10 seconds. The 22 sure comes back on target quick. Even shot a mag at 35 ft and taking time to aim, still hit 10 of 10 center mass on the target.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Now you’re just bragging.

Just kidding.

I had a first gen P22 that was stolen. I replaced it with a second gen P22. Both shot anything I fead it.

The second gen P22, the slide cracked on the left side of the ejection port where the “P” is located. This was after three years of shooting approximately 1,000 rounds of mostly CCI Minimag. I found out that slide and frame chassis is molded Zamak 5, a zinc alloy. Apparently the slides crack often enough that Walther has a lifetime replacement of the slides. My replacement slide was supplied with the self captured recoil spring of which reassembly is much easier.

I did a hammer and sear polishing with reducing the sear edge engagement. This reduced the single action trigger pull down to the claimed 4lbs by Walther, and eliminated any trigger creep. I use Chip McCormick Trigger Job grease on the sear. I also added a trigger over travel stop.

I found that greasing the slide grooves a frame rails with high pressure red grease helps keeping it running jam free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts