First Turkey Gun

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Mar 20, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

ShootingInVT
    (3/9/03 3:37:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Turkey gun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey all! I just got back from Hunter's weekend up to camp and what a time! Good food, good beer and good stories...who could ask for more? Before we headed up to camp a couple of my buddies and I went out and did a little shotgun shopping. I picked up a Benelli Nova, 12 gauge, 3 1/2 inch, 26" barrel, black synthetic stock. If I told you what I paid for it you'd die. I am looking for a super full choke for it and I'm not sure what to buy. Benelli makes a super full choke for the 12 gauge but I figured I would ask here to see if someone else had suggestions. I am interested in what choke, with what shells shot through it, and the type of pattern resulting.....

Thanks for any help to be offered!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/9/03 7:07:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Turkey gun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have the exact same gun. I have not patterned it with turkey chokes though.

cfogleso
    (3/19/03 12:35:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del First Turkey Gun
    I am looking for my first Turkey gun (first gun period actually), and have been drooling over the 12 gauge Nova for a while. I don't have endless amounts of money to spend, and whatever I don't spend on the gun will probably go to calls and camo. Do you think the Nova is a good choice for a fist gun. I know from previous life experiences that as a general rule, you DO get what you pay for. I have been wavering between dropping $400 on the Nova or $300 on a Remington express. I had one sales guy say the remingtons had a bad service record, but I kinda think he just wanted me to pay more for the Nova. Any advice you could give would be very appreciated.

Looking forward to bagging my first turkey,
    Chris

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/03 5:08:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: First Turkey Gun
    $400.00 for a Nova????? They are down to $279.00 here. Saw them for $250.00 on sale once.

ShootingInVT
    (3/20/03 8:43:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Nova pricing and chokes
    Hey there...that's about what I payed for mine. About $280, don't forget that's not the camo version though. I ended up buying a comp-n-choke for it. I haven't had a chance to get it out to the range due to business travel but as soon as I do I will let both of you (and everyone else) know how it went...thanks....

cfogleso
    (3/20/03 11:07:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del $280!!!!!
    $280 for a Nova?! Thats amazing, I'm in San Antonio, TX and all the gun stores I've been to have had at about the same price $370-400, and $416 for the camo one was the best I saw. When I was in Orlando they wanted $370 for them minumum. The next best thing I have found is a Remington Express Magnum for $290 at Oshman's (big chain sporting goods store). I guess what I'm getting at is Warpig, where the heck is "down here," cause maybe I should go for a little drive to save a hundred bucks.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/03 11:56:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Don't think you really wanno go for that drive cfogleso, the Pigster lives in Volin, South Dakota.

But if ya keep lookin, ya kin prolly find one cheaper than $400.00.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/22/03 12:25:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Turkey gun
    one shouldn't shop at the circus for guns, seems there's always some "clown" that wants to spread disinformation (Rem 870 bad service record?) and sell one with a better profit margin

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/24/03 10:36:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    cfogleso

Like Ruffitt said. I am in South Dakota. The Nova's are priced to compete witht he Mossbergs 500 and Remmington 870 around here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2003
  2. osceola

osceola Guest

Try Cabela's brand for HEVISHOT in Super Full with the .660 constriction--Great on 5's & 6's---on waterfowl HS #2's I've had the best results with the Benelli factory modified in by Super Black Eagle.

3. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

Welcome to the board osceola.

Glad you have come by to pay us a visit. Stick around and take your time getting to know the place. First refreshment is free at the Pumphouse.

BTW where do you come by your handle form - family heritage or the type of turkey you hunt?

4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

Hey there!...

Welcome osceola!!!...Thanks for sharing. Stick around these hunters could use someone with some experience, to set them straight!...Join in on the the other forums too, when you have time... ;)

5. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF Osceola.

6. osceola

osceola Guest

The handle comes from a town and the former name of a Boy Scout Reservation, both located in the Ozark hills of central Missouri. We pursue the Eastern specie of turkey around here--a wiley devil if there ever was one. Thank You for the "Hello".

7. nonconfomer

nonconfomer Guest

Gotta share....I went turkey Huntin for the first time in my life 1 week ago today.....I have no clue...My son set me up... with the calls, decoys, choke tube for my beretta SA. I was set up good...I just didn't have a clue! I knew that I had to climb in the woods...so I did....I did my calls....Lo and behold a Hen answered one of my calls(go figure)......Nothing else, not a peep. The sun got a little higher...and it felt good, especially up here in the May Wisconsin forest!....I laid my head back and thought how good the sun felt on my bod.
    Well a long story short. I fell asleep, I awoke 2.5 hours later. Birds from hell and back all around me! What!!! no Beretta...Where is it? Leaning up against a big ol' Oak ten feet away...True story...I still don't know how that damn gun got that far from me>>>Next year I'll strap it to my leg.