The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here we go. On my way home from dropping my son off at work this morning, I stopped at the local church owned thrift store to look for some wood clipboards to cut up into templates for my guitar building adventure. They didn't have any clipboards, however I picked up a nice little 4.5" bamboo casting rod and reel for $1.00. I'll try to upload some pics if I can get my phone to cooperate with me. here is my issue I am having trouble Identifying the manufacturer of said rod. unfortunately, the logo is partially missing and hard to read from the finish being cracked and bubbly.
The logo is a green oval bordered in red and the only letters I can make out is the first two which are NU. the third letter is possibly a W or Y or maybe a V. It looks very similar to a Heddon Dowagiac in the handle and seat, but the logo is wrong. and on the real seat it only says Made in U.S.A. I can partially date it with issue item number 3. This being a reel seat clamp, which I can find no information besides that which is stamped on it. It reads * Kawell Reel Clamp Co. Mankato, Minnesota Pat. May 20 .24. as in 1924.* I found this info on the patent once on my cell, got a call, and couldn't find it again. When I try to search Fishing rod or tackle companies from the early 1900s all I get is current ones Like ugly stick or Daiwa and so on. I was hoping someone on here maybe had a fishing Rod collectors guide and could give me a manufacture name for the rod. Btw the reel clamp is rather awesome.

·
Premium Member
17,949 Posts
This is a dilemma bamboo fly rod aficionado's run into all too frequently. Back then EVERYONE made rods "for the trade", Heddon, South Bend, Horrocks & Ibbotson, Montague and probably another 50 makers I'm unaware of. I think Granger and Philipson did too.

That sticker is vaguely familiar but, I might be disremembering as well.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The sticker looks familiar to me too, but I can't remember either. Sharps is correct, all the "big" manufacturers of bamboo rods made trade rods for stores, both local and national. Payne made rods for A&F, Heddon made rods for Lyon & Coulson and just about anyone else that would pay them. I have an 8' L&C bamboo rod that is a Heddon Black Beauty.

That sticker might be H&I. Reminds me of the sticker on my Tonka Queen.

Reactions: sharps4590 and Hawg

·
Premium Member
17,949 Posts
The sticker looks familiar to me too, but I can't remember either. Sharps is correct, all the "big" manufacturers of bamboo rods made trade rods for stores, both local and national. Payne made rods for A&F, Heddon made rods for Lyon & Coulson and just about anyone else that would pay them. I have an 8' L&C bamboo rod that is a Heddon Black Beauty.

That sticker might be H&I. Reminds me of the sticker on my Tonka Queen.
I was thinking Horrocks & Ibbotson as well but, I wouldn't bet any money on my memory of it. I bet it's been 7 or 8 years since I had my Tonka Prince out.

Isn't the Black Beauty the same taper as the Heddon #17?

Reactions: Rae Harrison

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Isn't the Black Beauty the same taper as the Heddon #17?
One and the same. 17 is the model number, Black Beauty was kind of a nickname because of the black (jappaned) hardware & wraps. It stuck and made it into the catalog. I think.

I have very nice 8'-6" #10 blue waters I need to catch some bass on

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Now who would have thought that old farts that kill deer with C&R Firearms would also like old bamboo rods, Hardy reels, Wheatley fly boxes & braided silk fly lines? :eek: :LOL:

I do draw the line at fishing wearing tweed or a tie & fedora

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a split bamboo fly rod that a neighbor’s brother made for me about 45 or so years ago. He has long since passed away and when he passed I put the rod on display only. I broke it once when I caught a 15 lb carp on it while fishing for bass and panfish. He was fishing with me at the time and promptly took the rod home with him and returned it the next day in perfect shape. It is a Spencer original.

That is my claim to older split bamboo rods.

·
Premium Member
17,949 Posts
Whatever 'assassin's rod turns out to be, I'm a little envious, in a good way. I keep looking for a bamboo spinning rod to restore but they must be pretty scarce.

Reactions: Grousesassin
1 - 14 of 14 Posts