The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm looking for some guidance/info on how to fit the above mentioned firing pin. When I install the firing pin, it is too short to contact a cartridge casing. Also, the bolt won't go all the way seated with the firing pin installed. If I remove the firing pin, then the bolt will go all the way forward. Do you think this is a fitting problem, or do you think that I have the wrong firing pin? Does anyone have the exact overall length of this firing pin?
Thanks for any info you can provide, and stay safe!
Old Gun Guy

·
Premium Member
9,869 Posts
That’s irritating. Am I correct to assume you do not have the original firing pin to use as reference? That’s would be my first check. If you know that you have the correct firing pin then I’d say you have a fitting issue. I have no idea what your bolt looks like or how it functions so.......I’ve had success identifying fitting issues with the use of Dykem. Just paint it on, let it dry and install the component. The blue will rub off where you’re having trouble. Hopefully one of the gunsmiths will stop by soon so we can both learn.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
There's a procedure in re-assembly that involves having the firing pin pushed forward, position of the sear, and installing the spring assembly and receiver plug. Don't bother asking, it was at least 20 years ago! For $5 at Amazon, everything you need to know:

·
Registered
716 Posts
When reinstalling the trigger housing it is hard to get the sear to go into the correct location. This will prevent the bolt from moving properly. I have had to put mine together three or four times before I could get it right. I can measure the firing pin but it will be a couple of days before I can get to it. We’re having family over today and going to my mother’s tomorrow. I doubt the firing pin is the problem. Good luck with it. They are great shooting rifles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help and information. I am pretty sure that I have the correct firing pin. Here is the length of it.
Old Gun Guy 20201227_133340.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that I have the wrong firing pin. There is no way that this firing pin can move forward because it contacts solid metal before it can move far enough. The bolt was already in the rifle when I received it, so I think that part is okay. I have posted some pictures to show the firing pin in the bolt.
20201228_084331.jpg 20201228_084305.jpg

·
Registered
716 Posts
@Old Gun Guy I’m sorry I haven’t got back to you. I had to go out of town and won’t be back till Sunday. I’ll break it down when I get home and give you a measurement. Numrich has the firing pin in stock. From the looks of your photos you probably do need a firing pin. The pin is beveled on the end kind of like a knife blade but yours looks like it may be worn off or broken off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
@Old Gun Guy my battery is dead but it appears to be the same measurement as yours. 2.75 inches. Turn your bolt over and look at the space where the cartridge actually sits and see if your firing pin is sticking in to that space. Well I have two pictures for you but I can’t figure out how to post them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts