The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have 2 questions for you today. My grandfather recently passed away and after going through the house we found his old pistol. The story is that my grandfather bought a gun, brang it home, than when his wife found out about it, she made him "fill the barrel". I'm not quite sure what that means, and I'm on vacation so right now I don't have access to it for a couple more days. My questions are what does a filled barrel mean, and is there any possible way to fix it, as it's my grandfather's and would like to get it working again. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
41,631 Posts
Personally never heard of such a thing. Hopefully someone with some knowledge will come along!

·
Super Moderator
28,325 Posts
My guess would be that the barrel has been filled with something to make it inoperable. Bringing it back to useable status would depend on how it was plugged and what with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess would be that the barrel has been filled with something to make it inoperable. Bringing it back to useable status would depend on how it was plugged and what with.
Yea that's understandable, although I'm having a hard time believing that he would have completely ruined the gun making it inoperable. I was thinking of using a rotary tool with one of the diamond bits if it's filled with something hard. Do you think that might be an option?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I was thinking of using a rotary tool with one of the diamond bits if it's filled with something hard. Do you think that might be an option?
Only if you want to completely destroy the rifling in the barrel and make the gun as inaccurate as possible.

Regardless of what is in that barrel, the first thing I would be doing is finding an experienced gunsmith. They will know whether the barrel can be salvaged or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only if you want to completely destroy the rifling in the barrel and make the gun as inaccurate as possible.

Regardless of what is in that barrel, the first thing I would be doing is finding an experienced gunsmith. They will know whether the barrel can be salvaged or not.
Thanks, I'm hoping it can be fixed. When I have access to it I will post a picture

·
Premium Member
13,738 Posts
First you'll need to ascertain what exactly it was "filled" with. Then, if the material is removable, you need to take it to a gunsmith. 'Course you can always screw it up yourself with the diamond bit idea.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sorry about your grandfather. Yup, I know you’re wanting answers now but you’re really going to need to wait till you have the gun in hand and can post some good pictures along with an explanation. Anything now would just be speculation. I do encourage you to do nothing to the gun without checking with us first. Not a slam, but your mentioning going at it with a Dremel and a diamond bit just says you need to learn some things. Looking forward to seeing your updates.

·
Premium Member
9,629 Posts
We (you) will have to wait for you to find out what is in it. If it is lead then I can tell you how to do it with out over heating your barrel. Even a novice can do it if you take your time but that will have to wait intill we know what it is filled with.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Friend of mine back in High School, his father was an airline pilot. His father brought him back an MP40 submachinegun from Germany in the mid 60s. The barrel was plugged with lead to make it non functional. Being a 16 year old and not knowing any better, of course my buddy heated the barrel and removed the lead. Dang thing worked! I have no idea of what became of him or that MP40...

·
Premium Member
9,629 Posts
Poor guy. Sounds like your Grandmother was pretty tough. Your grandfather brings home a new gun and is all excited about it and she says fill the barrel? What a let down. Of course i get the same treatment from my wife!:confused:
When I get a new gun my wife says to fill the barrel too. She even comes outside to make sure I do but when I do it it only stays filled as long as it takes for the bullit to go down and out the barrel.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,047 Posts
When I get a new gun my wife says to fill the barrel too. She even comes outside to make sure I do but when I do it it only stays filled as long as it takes for the bullit to go down and out the barrel.:rolleyes:
Yep that's the best way to fill and unfill a barrel.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts