The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original English fowler, ca. 1810-1820, was converted to percussion mid-19th C. (the fate of many flinters!), skillfully re-converted back to flint in recent years using some modern lock parts: cock, pan assembly, frizzen and spring, vent liner.

Detailed pics here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCarp/library/Original Fowler

Ball-park value? Thanks...!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Superficial observation of the lock reconversion, I see a few details that are less than 'skilful'. The barrel vent is a screwed in plug which should have had the barrel welded and finished and on a gun of this quality have a liner in the vent hole. The screws, hammer tumbler screw and frizzen spring screws are not right. The hammer top jaw screw looks like something out of a parts catalog, same for the frizzen spring. The pan attachment to the lock plate looks strange and possibly a braze line showing. This gun probably originally had a roller either on the frizzen or frizzen spring.

For me value $500 for a fine gun deserving rework of the reconversion. With a proper rework, up to $2000.

To someone, not a knowledgeable collector, it still might sell for close to that max number.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure the replacement parts - pan assembly, cock, frizzen and frizzen spring - are all from the L&R Lock, Co. The pitting/wear beneath the pan is erosion from the gun's percussion cap days. I agree that the slotted vent liner was not a great choice, but quite a few flintlocks of that period did not have roller frizzens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts