The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - longtime gun enthusiast but new to the forum. I came across this yesterday in a local shop and am curious if anyone can help me ID it? Looking for any info that will help me determine value so I can decide whether or not to add to my collection. Not even sure if it's an authentic piece or just decorative? There are a couple small marks on the top of the barrel but I have no idea if they can be used to identify it. I appreciate any help you can give. - RM

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Apparently made without trigger guard & ramrod it looks like a high quality mid-East piece from the detail decor and the ivory ball butt - if real ivory, encourages belief it being made for a local potenate. Lock looks European ca. 1800. All subject to confirmation with a lot better more pix. I would like to have it in my collection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would somewhere in the $500-750 range be a fair price to pay based on what you are seeing? I realize there are a lot of unknowns.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Middle East, East Med area guns are in a kind of limbo with low collector inerest keeping prices down, all complicated by lack of knowledge and suspicion of their being tourist collectible repros. All that considered, yours looks like something of a rarity that I would pay $500 or more for depending on a hands-on exam, especially more if the ball butt is original ivory -- not that ivory adds a lot to its value but confirming its authenticity.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Although some of the parts might be old, there is something about this pistol that does not seem exactly 'right' to me. I advise caution!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Be very careful of anything with ivory. You could end up having it confiscated. There's an International ban on importing or trading in ivory without the right Federal paperwork. Some exotic woods, such as ebony, rosewood, etc. are also controlled, as well as many animal species or parts thereof. See http://www.cites.org/

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
And here i thought " old Ivory" or pre-ban Ivory was safe. Not so in California, any Ivory can get you in trouble. Very strange state, scary even.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts