The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend owns this flintlock pistol and we were trying to figure out the approximate age and origin. It has "JC" stamped on the lock; "H213" also stamped (serial number?); the barrel is stamped as made in Belgium. We have not looked at the inside of the lock yet for any identifiers there. Any help on what else to look for, ideas on its origin or thoughts on value are appreciated.
Wood Trigger Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel
Wood Bicycle part Gun accessory Bicycle handlebar Shotgun
Musical instrument Wood Hardwood Wood stain Varnish
Wood Finger Tool Nail Household hardware
Shoe Wood Outdoor shoe Bicycle part Crankset
Household hardware Automotive tire Wood Hand tool Bicycle part
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire
Wood Publication Cylinder Gas Bumper

·
Premium Member
17,176 Posts
What Griz said. I'd guess a couple hundred dollars on a good day. Not to me but, someone might pay it.

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
16.8 is the bore diameter in millimeters, in standard inch size that would be .662 or 16 bore. Some where on the barrel, probably hidden under the stock, will be an inspectors mark. This will be a star with a letter under it. That will narrow the time frame down.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Premium Member
17,176 Posts
Sloppy workmanship, total and complete lack of patina, stampings are entirely too crisp and, an uber clean flash pan and bore. With very little experience, it's blatantly obvious.

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
The most obvious thing would be the Made in Belgium stamp on the barrel. Besides the other points that Sharps brought up. Made to be sold in the USA via mail order catalogue, probably Fingerhut. They used to sell cheaply made pistols and rifles like it back in the 70's. This one is made to look like a snaphaunce but the only thing that looks like a snaphaunce lock is the cock.

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
What Griz said. I'd guess a couple hundred dollars on a good day. Not to me but, someone might pay it.
A couple hundred would be the full retail price if it was in a gun shop or pawn shop, they'd probably offer 50 for it if you were selling it to them they'd settle for 100 to 150 after it sat on a shelf unsold for too long. It probably cost less than 50 bucks back when it was new.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
A couple hundred would be the full retail price if it was in a gun shop or pawn shop, they'd probably offer 50 for it if you were selling it to them they'd settle for 100 to 150 after it sat on a shelf unsold for too long. It probably cost less than 50 bucks back when it was new.
Agreed. That's worse workmanship than those Tower flintlocks that came out of Japan in the 70's and they sold for 49.00 and wouldn't spark half the time.

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
I was trying to remember what Fingerhut was selling their pistols for but 29.95 keeps popping into my head. I don't know if this one was a Fingerhut gun, but it was sold mail order by someone like them.

Reactions: Hawg

·
Premium Member
17,176 Posts
Those were just decorator pieces, right? It looks as if it could be fired....

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
Those were just decorator pieces, right? It looks as if it could be fired....
The stuff advertised in Fingerhut were real functional muzzle loading firearms. I thought about buying one way back when but never did do it. This one could shoot if it sparks, it's been proof tested in the Liege proof house, so it already has been fired at least once.

Reactions: Hawg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.