The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I posted this to the technical info forum.
I have a friend that is on his way to the other side. He has no family, only good friends. He has given me his collection of many unique firearms. This is one of the flintlocks. Was wondering if anyone can help identify.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
From the good pix of the lock, ca. 1725, French, maybe Germanic. Possibly more info with full shots of the entire pistol.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I replied to this in another section.

I'm guessing English only because I have seen English pistols with the same Lion on the butt.

Please don't post the very same question in two different forums.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new to the forum so sorry I posted in the wrong forum. Won't happen again. Attached are a couple of pictures of entire gun. On the lock side there is a name engraved in block letters. Can only make out the letters CAM___IER and something below that I can't make out at all. I removed the lock and there is (VI) carved into the wood underneath. No other markings, although I have not taken the gun completely apart to find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Being a baby in Toyland, rather than making any comment I'll just ask a couple of questions. Why does the lock and barrel look so well made, but yet the side plate, even allowing for wood shrinkage over the last two hundred years, look so badly inleted. Why does the brass embellishment look so crude and out of place on this other wise clean plain pistol?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have taken the lock and side plate as they are held together with screws that go through the gun. The trigger guard and barrel are held in with what looks to be steel pins that look like they will break or not be able to re-install without damaging the gun. I will say that the brass side plate is quite well inlaid into the wood. Guess it's repro. Doesn't matter, the memories of my good friend make it priceless to me.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Criticism, beauty & opinions can be in the eye of the beholder. I see the heavily molded brass furniture a mark of quality, properly installed. I would revise my opinion to date it 1740 more of less, probably Germanic more than French. Certainly European, not English.

It is reminiscent of a pair of pistols I had, made in Berlin ca 1730s, but had rounded lock plates and without frizzen bridles.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used a 20x jewelers loop to try and read the engraved name on the lock.
Can almost make out upper, but can't make out lower.
Is there a way that anyone knows that works best?
Thanks.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So then it may not be a repro.. A friend has a Nikon D800 camera. 36 megapixels. Will take pic's of engraved name and view on LED TV. Hopefully will be able to see lettering. Will post Pic's when we take them this weekend.
Thank you all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts