The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
There once was an oval plate mounted on the bottom of the forearm - possibly an unusual nameplate? The stock shows the markings from an original barrel band or a nose cap, since removed and replaced with a crude pin. I too think it is a modern kit gun, but the missing parts are puzzling. It might have been assembled from parts taken from two or more other guns?

Is there a ramrod pipe? I'd like to see a view toward the end of the barrel. The barrel seems quite a bit shorter than most Kentucky pistol kits. Also, show a side view of the whole front sight

The ornamental treatment of the right side of the lock is unusual for a kit gun - and is in contrast to the plain-Jane left-hand sideplate. The rear sight seems wrong and many pistols of this type didn't have rear sights.

Remove the barrel and see if there are any markings on the lower part that is obscured by the stock.

· Registered
9,446 Posts
Looks like a cheap Spanish kit. The barrel pin is the original barrel retainer. It looks as tho it was removed at some point and busted out the hole. The barrel may have had a loose fit is why somebody had used a barrel band of some type.
It is capable of firing if you can get the lock to spark well enough.

· Registered
518 Posts
It is capable of firing if you can get the lock to spark well enough.
Yes. First, confirm that the gun isn't loaded. (With a dowel or ramrod, check the clearance in the bore, and compare to the outside dimension from the muzzle to the front of the breach-plug.) If it is loaded, or you are unsure, check back here for further suggestions.

To get a spark, first clean up the frizzen with steel wool. Then, go into a dimly-lit room, and see if you get sparks into the pan.

· Registered
740 Posts
looks like one of the old CVA kits made back in the '60s and '70s,, they made a short one like that.. frizzen looks a bit soft,, if you wish to fire it may want to smooth it a bit so the gouges dont chip the flint,, some of them were a bit on the soft side so you may have to reharden it,, (just heat dull red in some kasenit) and reheat treat. they can be fun to play with attached a couple pics of my old cva kit gun, cost me the ungodly sum of $19.95 back in '71 ;)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.