The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my fellow reloaders might be amused by this.

I had just poured some HP-38 gunpowder into my powder measure in preparation for loading up some 357 Mag cartridges when I noticed some odd pieces of gunpowder sticking up inside the dispenser. On closer inspection, I found this was not gunpowder but actually a dead fly. So I picked it out with tweezers and took a picture of it with my macro lens.

DSC_0756_90pct.jpg

The lines at the bottom of the photo are the edge of a mm ruler. So the fly from wingtip to head is about 6mm.

Upon further inspection, I found what appeared to be either a body part of the fly or one of its eggs. Unfortunately, I could not grab that piece with my tweezers. I'm afraid it is going to one day be blasted to smithereens inside one of my 357 Magnum cartridges.

I don't normally leave my gunpowder bottles open. Even while I am dispensing powder onto the dish of my scale, I put the lid temporarily back on top of the bottle if for no other reason than to keep moisture from my breath from contaminating the powder. So, my only question is, how did that fly get inside my 1 lb bottle of HP-38?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
It is an insect and they are more populous on the earth than any other living thing. It is not hard to believe that they reside in the powder factory in large numbers. This one got caught in the canister filling machine (or in some other part of the process) to die and present itself to you for wonderment. He (or she) would have only added a tiny bit of velocity to you magnum load as his (or her?) body added fuel to the fire. If you collect dead flies and add one to each cartridge during reloading you might be able to detect an increase (or decrease) in performance. Let us know how that works out.... LOL.......

LDBennett

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are we being punked? o_O This story just doesn't seem to fly with me. :rolleyes: But which is worse, a fly in your powder or a fly in your ointment? o_O

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
The choice of whether the fly will fly or not is in the hands of DrMLap. My position is to put the fly in the ointment (powder). Careful comparisons to an un-fly-ed cartridge for resultant velocity would release valuable data: Does a dead fly in the powder add or subtract performance? The masses want to know!!!

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Flies could be the perfect filler.
If they in fact are, imagine what a hornet might do!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Maybe DrMLap could could send his story along with the pic he took to the powder manufacturer for a replacement (the powder, not the fly) all the while hoping no one at the company has seen the video of the guy in the break room tossing ice cubes on the floor. :rolleyes::D;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
The ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) might be able to help you answer why. They have a tremendous variety of Land Speed Record classes with this being a possible failed attempt.

See; Fly in Metallic Cartridge, .357 mag. Handgun. Class Record.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I had some trouble with my RCBS powder measure not dropping a full charge....just a trickle of powder instead. I took it apart to clean and inspect it and found that a spider had crawled up the dump tube and considered it home.
After that happened I started covering my drop tubes with masking tape to keep the 8 legged freaks out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had some trouble with my RCBS powder measure not dropping a full charge....just a trickle of powder instead. I took it apart to clean and inspect it and found that a spider had crawled up the dump tube and considered it home.
After that happened I started covering my drop tubes with masking tape to keep the 8 legged freaks out.
Your spider didn't happen to look like this did it? This one happens to be one of mine.

Attachments

Reactions: carver and ysacres

·
Premium Member
18,339 Posts
I wonder just how nourishing a meal that spider expected to get up in there. My guess is he didn't think things through. Gun powder in a web doesn't seem as tasty as nice fly or ant in the web.;)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I would expect it of Unique, aka "Flammable Dirt". o_O

1 - 18 of 18 Posts