The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this might sound a bit off the wall here but I'm still new in a lot of ways to shooting. I've been reading up on doing reloads and making your own new loads, and this is somewhat related.

Looking around at the scarcity and price of ammo today: I have plenty of 9mm fmj, but JHP seems extremely scarce and expensive even for the current market. I have seen lots of nice JHP bullets available though, and I'm wondering is it possible (I'm fairly sure it's possible) or desirable as a cheap shortcut to remove the pointy point and replace it with a hollow point on an otherwise intact and functional cartridge. Would it be too hazardous? What die sets would you need? What other thoughts here? Thanks much!

PS -- if it really is just an incredibly stupid idea just go ahead and say so!

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Pulling the projectile means that you have to pour the powder someplace, then put the primed case back in the press, to the powder charge die, this bells the mouth and drops the powder, next to seat the bullet and finally crimp. Seems to me to be a lot of work when you can load JHP initially. Powder charge may be different from FMJ to JHP. I frequently pull bullets, but because of a blunder of some sort. Yes, I can save the case, and if I know what powder is in the case, even save the powder. Usually, I pour the powder on my Hydrangeas.

I see no reason to do it..but I have a few thousand spp in stock and even have a few hundred JHP projectiles. I don't shoot a lot of hp's in my 9's.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
There’s a lot more to it than just swapping out one bullet for another when making a cartridge of ammunition. Bullet weight can drastically impact chamber pressures which could damage yourself and your firearm. If you’re really wanting to get into reloading I suggest purchasing a good reloading manual and reading through it a couple of times. This will give you an idea if it’s something you want to start.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
Yes, it can be done and I've done it a few times in small numbers, 10 or 20 cartridges. As Clipper described, it's a pain in the tail for not a lot of reward when you can just load the bullet you want in the first place. I never use hollow points, hollow core or any other open point projectile in semi-auto's, much preferring the FMJ's you have.

IF you don't have or can't find the bullets you want and you need or want a couple magazine's of your preferred bullet then yes, I'd do it. However, as Firpo said, there's more to it than just swappin' bullets...and I've been at this game a loooooong time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd say, shoot the fmj's, then reload with whatever you want. Be a shame to waste a factory load when things are so hard to find. Agree with firpo, get a good manual and make yourself familiar with the reloading process. Or better yet, find a friend that's been reloading for a while and watch and learn.

·
Administrator
12,037 Posts
Guys, he wants JHP. Loaded ammo and primers are near impossible to find right now. He's trying to think outside the box.

If you try this, discard the powder. Pick a powder for your JHP from a reloading manual that has a good track record and reload with that powder at the recommended charge in the manual.

If the FMJ bullets are damaged when you pull them, discard them or put in your lead bucket for later casting use.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The problem with trying to convert a FMJ to a hollow point is that the FMJ bullet copper jacket has the lead core exposed on the base of the bullet. If you open the point of the FMJ, you will have both ends of the bullet open and when fired the lead core would probably get pushed forward or possibly pushed out of the bullets jacket. Worse case scenario is that the lead core gets pushed out leaving the copper jacket stuck in the barrel, which in turn would constitute as an obstruction, and if a follow up round is fired it could bulge or burst the guns barrel and possibly causing damage to the firearm and to the shooter.

The up side to FMJ bullets is that now that it is the colder months, a FMJ will penetrate more layers of clothing and heavy winter coats if you have to use it in defense.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I got lost when he started talking about the “pointy point”. I couldn’t figure out if he was wanting to alter an FMJ or replace it with a JHP.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
PPR1957 answered the OP's original question perfectly. If I'm reading it right, TheGreyPiper was asking about modifying FMJ 9mm's into a 'poor-man's' hollow point. PPR was spot on: drilling thru the front of the bullet will create a hollow point, BUT then you have a real possibility of the jacket and the lead core separating inside of the barrel and causing a bore obstruction.

I recall people asking about this way back when surplus ammo was CHEAP, and people wanted to create hollow point ammo from it. Still a valid point - don't do it.

·
Administrator
12,037 Posts
I stand corrected! I was reading post #1

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I cut some tips off of FMJ rifle ammo when I was about 12. They shot ok and the jackets didn't separate but they left really big, shallow holes in whatever they hit. I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
jim brady,

Thanks, but tango1niner brought up that point first of which I somehow missed his post or maybe he posted while I was typing my post basically saying the same thing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As PRR1957 stated, It is worth reiterating as there is a definitely a safety issue in modifying the FMG to JHP configuration.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've read about HP bullet's filling up the HP going through clothing and failing toopen. But in my 9mm's for defense loads I do use HP's. But I fill the HP on each one with silicone. Haven't a clue if it works but then don't know what works for sure till ya shoot someone. All my practice rounds are cast bullet's. In my 38 spec and 32 long, all I shoot are cast bullet's for everything.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
A round nose bullet can kill just as good as a HP bullet, dead is dead. The problem is in over penetration you may shoot more than you intend to. I do remember back a few years ago on the hunting forums when the .22lr was hard to find. For squirrel hunting when people couldn't find HP .22s they would file the round end of the bullet to make a flat point. It was said this would give a better push on impact to help knock the squirrels loose from the trees.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
From the safety aspect “modification“ of live ammo is not a great idea for someone with little knowledge of the topic and you will need to buy equipment to do so. Given the present situation I would advice just using the FMJ you have. Dependability, safety and accuracy are more important than expansion.
Reasonably priced HP ammo can still be found but It does take effort and no small amount of luck, right place at the right time. Until you can acquire some you are hardly unarmed. Some still chose and use FMJ for various reasons, cost, reliability in their pistol or other constraints. Another aspect depending on your local laws the use of modified ammo in a defensive situation may bring undesirable attention from the DA. The military uses FMJ 9mm and they manage to muddle through.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts