The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Century .Has "metric" in mag receiver. Made in Georgia, VT. cal. 308. Neighbor is wanting $450 for it. I think it's a good deal from looking at auction sites. Most are going for $1500 or more.
Should I buy this thing? Whats the difference from metric to inch versions? Anything I need to know or look for? Any info anybody has would be appreciated. thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the FN/FAL design and all the differences between the inch-pattern and metric-pattern variants. Century has a page that seems to do a good job outlining the major differences. http://www.centuryarms.com/receivers.htm

About the only thing that I know is that mags are semi-interchangable. The inch-pattern models can use either while the metrics can only use the metric mags...unless modified IIRC.

I've always wanted to add an FAL to my collection but the bargain hasn't appeared yet for me.
I think the FALs that Century has been assembling/selling are made up of parts kits from assorted countries, with no fixed specifics...whatever was in inventory when that particular rifle was built.

If the quality control on their FAL builds is like their C93 (H&K G33) builds then it's hit or miss whether you get a good one. For $450 I think I'd take a chance on it though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, a complete rifle. I have already purchased it, So I'm hoping it's a good shooter. I've heard the thing about hit and miss with Century, but at $450, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Thanks for the site info too

·
Registered
6 Posts
By Century .Has "metric" in mag receiver. Made in Georgia, VT. cal. 308. Neighbor is wanting $450 for it. I think it's a good deal from looking at auction sites. Most are going for $1500 or more.
Should I buy this thing? Whats the difference from metric to inch versions? Anything I need to know or look for? Any info anybody has would be appreciated. thanks for your help in advance.
Every kit I look at is either missing parts, or the demilled sections look like they'd be seriously difficult to replace. Looking to put together either an L1A1, or an HK G3. Any leads on good kits?

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Is this a complete kit or a complete shootable rifle? If you bought a shooter for $450 you scored really well. A guy I worked with years ago had an M1A, then bought an FAL. He preferred the FAL over the M1A. I've fired them, but I'm still an M1A guy.

If you go to looking for parts, grab yourself a copy Shot Gun News. While I haven't read one for a long time, people used to advertise for both metric and inch pattern FAL rifle kits and parts. With all of the craziness going on I'm pretty sure parts are going to dry up fast.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Century Arms International is famous for their "drunken monkey" gunsmiths. If the rifle was made Monday morning or Friday afternoon, it's a lemon. However, if the receiver is good, it's repairable. Good luck! I would love an FAL...

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
7 year old thread where none of the original posters have been seen in years?

Reactions: jim brady and goofy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.