The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an FN K98, post war I believe. In the sunlight I noticed some extremely faint Chinese characters on the receiver. Anyone know anything about these at all? I'm more so concerned with history, not so much price. But, it'd be nice to know if I did well or if I paid too much. I paid $275.

The wood is in fairly good condition, no major scrapes or marks. The handguard has a broken piece in the right rear. It can be seen in the photos.

Here's the album. http://imgur.com/a/uBX6X

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you got a good deal. I know I'd be pleased to find a FN Mauser for what you paid.
Thanks! Other info I'm getting online seems to point to it being a post war Soviet capture from a cache. Which was then provided to the Chinese. Maybe made its way back through Vietnam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, any ideas as to where I can find year of manufacture based on serial number? 332XX is the serial number of the receiver and bolt.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Post war would seem to exclude "Russian Capture" and not used by Germany or it's friends, and it is very unlikey to have seen service in Viet Nam. Post war FN provided Mauser action rifles to half the world, it is a FN Mauser, not a K98. Your Chinese marking do not seem to be Chinese markings to my eyes, but rather some random scratching. I know of no world wide serial number base to Track FN Mausers. BTW You never stated what caliber it was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its an 8mm, the characters are in fact Chinese. I had them translated by someone. It translates to "National Army".

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Its an 8mm, the characters are in fact Chinese. I had them translated by someone. It translates to "National Army".
You got a nice rifle at a good price, FN Mauser's are very well made. In reference to the translation, well, no offence, but I think some one is Bsing you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You got a nice rifle at a good price, FN Mauser's are very well made. In reference to the translation, well, no offence, but I think some one is Bsing you.
Thanks, from what I can see the markings do not look they are "factory" made. The Chinese characters they represent are 國軍. I can see a very strong resemblance to those characters, although I am not familiar with Chinese. I had some people on a Chinese language forum translate it for me. It apparently is traditional non simplified Chinese

1 - 8 of 8 Posts