The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am a proud owner of an FN Browning Model 1906, the same model is displayed on wikipedia right here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Henri_Guisan_FN_Browning_model_1906_IMG_3267.jpg

Unfortunately, I dry fired this pistol one single time after breaking it down for cleaning, and it broke the tip off the firing pin. I tried the few parts dealers I can name (Numrich, gun-parts.com and couple of others). No one has the firing pin unfortunately.

Numrich lists it here as out of stock:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1215220.htm

I did try a Colt 1908 firing pin from Numrich, as the two are usually stated as interchangable:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/491180C.htm

The tip of Colt 1908 pin is longer, and the body of the pin is shorter. With the grip safety depressed, pulling the slide back fully does not catch the hook on the bottom of the firing pin, and therefore the mainspring does not compress.

So it appears I really need an FN 1906 firing pin, and nothing else. Please note that if you've ever heard they are exactly the same. I have two side by side and there are slight differences that appear to matter.

Do you have an FN 1906 firing pin you could sell? Do you have a lead I can follow for purchasing one?

Your help is kindly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Helix. I really wasn't sure if this would be possible.

I don't have connections with anyone who does this kind of work. I'll likely need to be able to supply the exact specifications of the component, as I'm sure gunsmiths aren't cranking out 1906 firing pins all day.

Perhaps someone has worked with a gunsmith they'd recommend in the Southeastern PA area?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
re tipping a firing pin is a simple procedure for most any skilled welder. I have done many. Ive also made new firing pins from drill rod, using the base of the old firing pin. I did a pin for an old Stevens M44 single shot .22LR that way. Worked perfect and the hi speed drill rod pin is sure to never break off under normal use. As far as welding a firing pin, just gotta kiss it, The steel youre welding to is very thin and will melt away fast. Basically you build it up by striking and arc on it for a split second. The higher the amperage the welder puts out the faster it will melt the steel away. Best to use a low amperage welder. TIG set to about 20 amps would be perfect and yield the best results. I have used an 80 amp wire feed before in a pinch, but you just gotta be precise and quick, and you may hafta build it up and grind it back down a couple times.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
As to recommending a Gunsmith.. There are only 3 that I trust and youre talking with 2 of them now. Mike (aka Goofy) is in upstate NY (spencer area) Helix is in 'Missouruh' and I am down in central TX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the information. I have the original firing pin, but not this missing tip.

Is this something you think could be done without the entire pistol? For instance with just the firing pin, and the detailed images/diagrams I have available? Or is that just a recipe for disaster?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Yes, usually we can go off of just the pin pieces but if you send just the slide too, we could make sure it fits and protrudes correctly.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Perhaps someone has worked with a gunsmith they'd recommend in the Southeastern PA area?
Ware in Phily are you?
I am from Chester co.(West Chester) And was born and lived in south Phily.
I now live right across the border in NY (in the finger lake region) now.
The only place down there that I would trust is Blue Sky in King of Prussia(near the mall) I have not been there for a while so don't know if they are still there.
But as JLA said you can send it to Helix,JLA or me However I would like the whole gun so I can test it when I am done.
You can send the gun with out going thru a FFL because it is a Gunsmith job and it can be sent back to you.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Mike, I'm actually just 15 minutes from West Chester, down route 3, just on the edge of Delaware County.

As my nearest "neighbor" in NY I'd really like to get your help on getting this little pistol up and running again. I'll contact you privately for details if I may. (Scratch that, I haven't done enough posts to contact you - please message me with an email address please.)

I just want to thank the whole lot of you though for offering to help in your various ways. It's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem expect I do not have the original firing pin. I bought one for a Colt 1908 but it fails to engage the sear. Numrick does not have an original firing pin. Does anyone know where one may be available?
As a last resort I guess I can have one fabricated.
Tony

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have a look on *********. They are on there now and again,also Midway if You dont mind paying insane mailing costs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts