The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FN small ring mauser barreled action (cocks on closing) that I need a stock for.

Action screws measure 7 1/16" center to center and the magazine is a single stack set up.

Its chambered for the .300 savage.

Does anyone have any leads on where i might find a stock for it?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I have an FN small ring mauser barreled action (cocks on closing) that I need a stock for.

Action screws measure 7 1/16" center to center and the magazine is a single stack set up.

Its chambered for the .300 savage.

Does anyone have any leads on where i might find a stock for it?
The first place I would look is Stocky's, then on the Boyd's, then to Bell and Carlson, and then to Calico Hardwoods. Put rifle stocks into your internet search engine, and several more than these mentioned will come up also. Brownells and Midway are a couple of other places you could look also.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boyds doesnt list anything with the spacing i need for the action screws. This is a commercial mauser action and is a 1/4 inch shorter than the shortest small ring stock Boyds offers.

Im half ass tempted to just order a small ring and do a little wood work to get it to fit. But im afraid it wont be something i can easily cover

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don't know if Boyds and the others offer custom stocks or not, but at one time stock makers did. It might be worth a call or e-mail to see if they would sell you a small ring stock partly inletted for the barrel and action but not inletted for the bottom metal or the recoil lug.

Jim

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im afraid thats what im up against Jim. Problem i have is the customer doesnt want to spend a bunch of money on this one. So I aint touching it if I aint got to. Ill dig around a little more but I may have to call him and see if he wants to take on the cost of having a stock custom fit to it.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Boyds does make a small ring stock but the inletting on them is excessive. I bought on and had to bed the whole action just to make it look decent.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Im going to try Richards for my next stock,,Iv,e got a Small ring Mex Mauser ,,re-barrel and I think they do Mods ,,,I like Boyds but they only offer 1 type of wood for solid Stocks,,,Richards has more wood types and styles

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
link to Richards please sir..

·
Banned
772 Posts
Usual reference to a small ring refers to a SR Mdl.98 Mauser. The Mdl. 98 Mausers all cock on openning regardless of ring demension. The Mauser Mdls. 95,96 etc. cock on closing but also require a much smaller stock bed.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and thats what im up against.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks FF!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Many years ago, probably atleast 15 years, I bought one of Richard's "microfit" stocks for a Model 70 300 WM I had. The stock I ordered was actually one of their "budget, slight blem" stocks, and when it arrived the grain was beautiful, and the "small blem" was so BARELY noticeable that I was amazed that they called it a blem! As time has "worn on," I have no idea about Richard's products today, but I can tell you, at one time, they were an EXCEPTIONAL value.

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sent an email to Richards microfit. I am awaiting a response.

Ill check it out Airdale. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.