The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the 80% recievers for sale online for around $125 and I've seen complete recievers for around $180. My main question is how much time and difficulty am I saving by spending the extra money and I've seen beat 10/22s sell for not much more so buying a whole one and breaking it down I see as an option. I have access to a lathe and mill with plenty of helping hands with the experience floating around to help me after I get in over my head :D

My other options I'm considering is doing an AK or AR, both of which I know I could complete fairly easily as the owner of the shop I use has done a few of both but I feel like I lack funds for doing the AK or AR build I would want to do. I already have two 80% recievers for the AKs and a complete lower I can build on top of already.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Ruger makes 10/22s. Ruger does NOT sell partial guns.

Where have you seen 80% receiver 10/22s?

·
Registered
326 Posts
They are NOT Ruger factory. Several companies make 10/22 receivers. You can also buy 80 percent one that are quite easy to drill and tap out with a simple drill press with the jig they sell. Building your own means no 4473 no records of any type as unless your state requires some registration. You allowed to build yourself any gun you want as long as it is not NFA ( unless you have a form 1 stamp of course. Besides it is a great feeling to have a gun you built.

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Interesting. Seems like those people are asking to be sued.

Colt sued AWA because "Peacekeeper" sounded too much like "Peacemaker". And Peacemaker was never even a trademark. Yet Colt put AWA out of business.

"10/22" is an owned property.

Now, I reckon the 10/22 has been in existence long enough that the patent has worn off. So I suppose that "Select Fire LLC" can make copies of it without breaking the law. Calling it the 10/22 Razor, though, just seems like they are looking or trouble.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
The patent on the gun - yes. The copyright on the name?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are NOT Ruger factory. Several companies make 10/22 receivers. You can also buy 80 percent one that are quite easy to drill and tap out with a simple drill press with the jig they sell. Building your own means no 4473 no records of any type as unless your state requires some registration. You allowed to build yourself any gun you want as long as it is not NFA ( unless you have a form 1 stamp of course. Besides it is a great feeling to have a gun you built.

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/
It might not be a true Ruger made 10/22 but its still "Ruger" designed and as far as I'm concerned its still a Ruger. And I already know the process in PA, I already have a complete 80% lower and the AK recievers, thats not the problem, the decissions that come with building a 10/22 are still up in the air though.

But I was kind of surpized how many companies say they have sell 10/22 recievers directly without calling it much else, since there are a few companies that do it, I'm asuming its safe that they do so, maybe one company could mess it up and copy it, but not several. I bet its a similar situation as the 1911. But back to my first questions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts