The Firearms Forum banner

FNS-9 or XDm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I'm planning on getting a new pistol this Thursday. This will be first firearm purchase and I'm torn between the FNS-9 and the Springfield XDm in 9mm. Both feel great in my hand, but I have never actually fired them. That being said I would love to hear what experiences you guys have had, both good and bad, with these weapons. I plan on keeping this primarily for home defense and plinking around my property. My primary concern is the reliability of the firearm. I understand that Glocks are often considered the gold standard of reliability, but for some reason they just feel awful in my hand. Anyways, I appreciate any advice you guys could give me!

·
Registered
259 Posts
As a former owner of a XDm in 9mm I can say wholeheartedly that the XDm is as reliable as any Glock, if not more so, just as accurate, and better looking too. The only thing that bugged me was the grip-safety, but that's just a small nitpick on my part.

I had bought the 3.8 model with the full size frame with the intent of CC, but the frame was just too big. Then literally a month later Springfield released the 3.8 with a sub-compact frame and a extended magazine-grip; needless to say I was pissed at my terrible timing. I sold it shortly there after, but I've been eyeing the other models of XDms since then.

I'm not very familiar with the FNS, but FNH is a world renowned company with manufacturing contracts with the US military to make M-16s; I wouldn't doubt that the FNS is also a very reliable handgun given its origins.

I think you should find away to fire them; the XDm is very popular and shouldn't be too difficult to try out at a range that provides rentals; the FNS might be a little harder to find as a rental due to its obscurity. At the very least fire the XDm and if you're still unsure, flip a coin. Either way I think you will very pleased.

·
Registered
377 Posts
They are both good weapons but I would go the XD route. The FNS is a new gun and the first striker fired pistol that FN has done. All of their others are hammer fired. Having said that you have to be the one happy with your decision. So choose and be happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys! I want to thank everyone who posted for helping make an well informed decision! After deliberating for several days I ended up purchasing the FNS-9.

It was a very hard choice. The Springfield XDm is an excellent weapon with a solid reputation, but the ergonomics just didn't fit my hand quite right. The XDm did however come with a holster, two 20 round magazines, a magazine holster, and a mag loader, which made it an incredible value.

The FN Herstal FNS-9 had a great feel to it. The weapon has a highly textured grip and the gun feels very balanced in my hand which adds to the overall perceived quality. The one I purchased is all black and came with factory installed Trijicon tritium night sights along with three 17 round magazines. Aside from the ergonomics, the factory installed Trijicon sights and the three mags are what sold me. The primary purpose for this weapon is home defense, so having the night sights just makes perfect sense to me. Buying a pistol that came with three 17 round magazines also made a lot of sense, because I like the idea of having two backup mags ready to go. Plus they are considering a federal high cap mag ban, not a ban on holsters which I can pick up at anytime.

At the time my LGS had it listed for 700, at that point the XDm was looking very nice at 600. Thankfully I was able to get a great deal on it since they price matched buds gun store and I was able to walk out with the weapon for 620 plus tax.

My first 100 rounds with this weapon were flawless. I fed it speer 115 grain fmj and blazer brass 124 grain fmj with no issues at all. The muzzle did not flip up like many polymer pistols I have shot. It actually managed the 9mm recoil very well and was quite smooth. The sights are very visible during the day and very easy to read at night (I did not actually fire the gun at night though). The trigger was smooth with a crisp break and was very predictable. The magazines are steel and were very reliable. They are also able to be taken apart for easy cleaning. The trigger reset was reasonably short which helped with the quick follow up shots. The accuracy was excellent. While I personally need some practice my friend put two rounds in the same hole at 15 yards right off the bat. Needless to say I was a bit jealous. :rant:

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase. This weapon gave me an amazing first impression and even based on my limited experience with the FNS-9 I would recommend it to a friend. I feel like this is an excellent weapon that I could rely on in an emergency. I look forward to putting thousands of rounds through my FNS-9 and I will report any issues with this weapon, if they occur, to help assist anyone else who may be considering this firearm.

Again, thanks for all of the input and advice everyone! It made a very difficult choice a little easier! :D

P.S. My friend that went shooting with me that day just bought himself an FNX-9, the hammer fired version of my FNS-9. He "loved your striker fired FNS-9, but I perfer DA/SA hammer fired weapons. Since your weapon was based on the FNX platform it seemed like a logical choice."

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Both are great. The XD will have a better feeling trigger out of the box, the FN will get better over time. 2 advantages with the FN, weight and felt recoil. FN's with the high grip and forward weight displacement dont flip like the XD.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I hardly have a problem with my XD9, don't notice the grip safety and the trigger pull is not to light (I was used to revolvers with heavy triggers). If all else fails...try to find a range (or a friend) with both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts