The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw a small folding bayo that was purportedly for a carcano rifle.

never seen anything like it,

anyone know anything about this?

rare?

value?

application?

( guy had 400$ ) on it.. that's way outta my price range for a knife.. :)

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
You'll find them on Ebay fairly often. The one that's currently on my Carcano Model 91/38 was bought in a Wallace, Idaho pawn shop some years back. To judge from the Ebay listings, prices seem to range between $125 and $175 or so, depending on condition.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
p.s. to previous: I don't know too much (as in nothing) about Italian military edged weapons, but have to wonder whether the guy asking $400 for the bayonet had it mixed up with the Italian Fascist dagger, or possibly the youth dagger, neither of which was a folder, but they look vaguely similar in outline.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll find them on Ebay fairly often. The one that's currently on my Carcano Model 91/38 was bought in a Wallace, Idaho pawn shop some years back. To judge from the Ebay listings, prices seem to range between $125 and $175 or so, depending on condition.
would you mind posting a pic or 2 of that?

I'm trying to imagine how it would work folded attached. looks like it has a buttom to let it slide out and swing.. but not having seen it on a weapon.. it's hard to manipulate in my mind.

the way it fits.. it seems like it would preclude a cleaning rod.

did the 91/38 not use a cleanign rod?

thanks

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and now anpother question.

I own a carcano.. but it has a non folting bayo..e tc.

it doesn't seem, looking at it.. that the folding one would fit.. than again.. I don't have the bayo to coampir. :)

were only certain models of arcano compatible with the folding bayo?

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking at an auction site I see one of those folding bayo's.. exactly what I saw.

neat.. now I kinda want one :)

looks like I will need a carcano that fits it though.. looks like the bayo is worth mor ethan the rifle.. ;)

so.. what carcano fit the folding bayo's?

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
I'm a complete clutz when it comes to computers and cameras, so rather than screw things up I'll describe the bayonet I've got sitting on the desktop in front of me. First off, you're right, the bayonet would preclude a cleaning rod beneath the barrel. The stock slot beneath the 91/38's barrel is for the bayo's folded blade. The 91/38's cleaning rod was a sectioned deal carried in the butt trap. The bayonet itself has two spring-loaded buttons; one on the right rear is for locking onto the rifle's bayo stud, the one on the left just below the bayo's barrel ring is for unlocking the blade from its open or closed position. With the blade extended, push inward on the left hand button, pull the blade forward, rotate the blade downward and through 180 degrees until it sits in the stock's slot, then push the blade forward to lock it in the closed position. To open, push button, pull blade to the rear, rotate through 180, and once extended push to the rear to lock in place. They aren't the sturdiest things in the world, and just about every one I've ever seen rattles to one degree or another, so it's little wonder that late variations were pinned open. I think milsurp.com has an Italian arms section, so someone there could probably help with photos or a decent line drawing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not too much help but --
I had a m38 7.35 mm many years ago. Bought it in as new condition from golden state for $12,95 . I think the lot were Finnish surplus. It was stamped "SA"
The bayonet folded back into a recess in the stock. I think the upper band was the pivot point. As i recall the bayo was not readily removable and did not have hand grips.
I do not think it had a cleaning rod --
old guy memory -

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
looking at an auction site I see one of those folding bayo's.. exactly what I saw.

neat.. now I kinda want one :)

looks like I will need a carcano that fits it though.. looks like the bayo is worth mor ethan the rifle.. ;)

so.. what carcano fit the folding bayo's?
To the best of my knowledge, the 91/38 was the only Carcano variation intended for the folding bayonet, but I could be wrong. There was a very similar looking short rifle in production since WW1 (don't recall the Model) which only accepts a fixed bayonet. Suspect you're right regarding bayo vs. rifle prices. I bought my 91/38 many years ago for about $30, and paid $100 for the bayonet. Funny the way that worked out.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the description.

that's what I saw.

2 buttons..

ok.. now that I look at the pics. there appears to be 2 setups I am seeing.

1 with a bayo lug onthe bbl, and one with a bayo lug on a metal front strap holding forwood.

it appears the folder bayo needs the bayo lug on the bbl, as the distance from thebbl nose loop on the bayo and it's lug slop is not far enough apart for the lug slot to hit a bayo lug that was on a metal strap on the forewood

am i making any sense? :)

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
am i making any sense? :)
Yup, you're making perfect sense. There are about a bazillion variations and sub-variants of the Carcano. Hop on Google and tap in A QUICK AND DIRTY GUIDE TO CARCANO RIFLES. That'll pull up illustrations of most of the major variations. Have my 91/38 sitting in my lap at the moment, and the bayo lug itself is part of a slide-onto-the-barrel fixture which butts up against the very front portion of the stock. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's helps !

the 2 setups I see are just that. the lug ahead of the forewood, on the bbl, and the lug on the front strap HOLDING the forewood.

deffinately looks liek the folder has to have the style on the BBL.

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Same, though tried it twice and got two different responses; first said I had to be a Facebook or Twitter subscriber - which I'm not, second was the same OOPS...etc.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have FB... that must be it.

in any case.. thanks fo rthe info. I believe it was quite sufficient for me to figure it out

thaks again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts